How to tell what Generation a Tecumseh Engine is?

I am looking to buy the era proper motors for my Bonanza BC1100 & BC1300. Just a bit more information on the bikes the BC1100 is a Center Peg Frame & the BC1300 is a front Peg Frame.What I am having trouble understanding is how you tell the difference between the Generations of Tecumseh Engines? How does one tell if the motor is from the 60's & 70's or 80's? I am thinking I should be looking for late 60's or early 70's Tecumseh Engine's for these bikes. Any tips or suggestion will be helpful. I am on the hunt now from the proper engines.

capguncowboy

the small block went through some subtle changes over the years, along with a few more obvious changes. the early engines (pre-1968) were round shroud and were smooth where it overlapped the head on the engine. In 1969, they added a small hump where the shroud overlaps the head. In 1971, they started stamping the aluminum ID plates instead of embossing them. In 1973-1974, they began using a new style shroud (more square) and ditched the aluminum plate in lieu of stamping the tops of the shrouds. There was some transition period where some of the previous style shrouds were stamped with the numbers along the side, and some of those still had the aluminum ID plates. This was also when they switched the style of throttle mechanism.

What year engine are you looking for? I might have a 69 or 70 model H35 in my shop.

capguncowboy

i think the final year for front pegs was 1968 and they went mid-peg after that, but I'm not really a bonanza guy. a 1968 hs40 would be tough to find, the h35 would be hard, but obtainable. I've got a few that'll fit your needs. PM me if you're interested.

markus

That's what I need to find a 1969 or 1970 H30 & a 1968 or earlier H40!
you probably want to stay away from an early H40 for a mini bike. They didn't use them for mini bike applications, usually just the H50 was used on the medium size engines. An H50 you have better chances of finding one setup with mini bike/recreational throttle assembly already, An H40 was pretty much equipment used only, you'll end up with less power and most likley more $$ invested.

If your Meaning HS40, they didn't start production until 1968 on those. I did a little writeup sometime back showing the changes of the HS40 engines that might help if that what you are on the hunt for:

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/tecumseh/138509-hs40-revisions.html?highlight=hs40+differences

you probably want to stay away from an early H40 for a mini bike. They didn't use them for mini bike applications, usually just the H50 was used on the medium size engines. An H50 you have better chances of finding one setup with mini bike/recreational throttle assembly already, An H40 was pretty much equipment used only, you'll end up with less power and most likley more $$ invested.

If your Meaning HS40, they didn't start production until 1968 on those. I did a little writeup sometime back showing the changes of the HS40 engines that might help if that what you are on the hunt for:

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/tecumseh/138509-hs40-revisions.html?highlight=hs40+differences
What Tecumseh 4HP did the Bonanza BC1300 come with?

delray

i never seen a sticker for the identifaction on a tecumseh before? i wonder if there is another set of numbers stamp under that or it was never stamp and thats why they us the sticker?
it looks legit.......weird
markus have you ever seen one like that?

capguncowboy

i never seen a sticker for the identifaction on a tecumseh before? i wonder if there is another set of numbers stamp under that or it was never stamp and thats why they us the sticker?
it looks legit.......weird
markus have you ever seen one like that?
I had a Scat Cat SC214 with a mid-80s Tecumseh on it. It wasn't original to the bike, but it had a sticker exactly like that on it. I peeled it off and the numbers stamped under it were the same. Not sure why they put the sticker on it, but they did.