HS40 Engine rebuild

My Rupp roadster 2 (and engine) have been in pieces for 30 years. I'm just getting back to rebuilding it. I'm tackling the engine while a friend is dealing with the frame, etc. The first problem I've run into is that there is no information on the shroud as to which HS40 model I have. I need to acquire a few parts and without the model number I'm stuck. I was fairly young when the roadster 2 was purchased for my brother, so i have no idea what year the bike is either. (Early to mid 70's is all I can say) Does anybody know how to determine which HS40 model I have?

There should be a riveted tag on the side of the shroud. My 72' Roadster is HS40-52388c. Next four numbers are, first digit year, next three is day of year, and last letter is assembly line. I can't post links because I'm on an iPad and links on my comp. post a pic of it and your Rupp.

Yes, I'm looking for a flywheel. Mine was broken years ago and got thrown out. This particular one was used with the ezee start magneto. The taper on the crank shaft runs from about .540 to .750. (Just an estimate)

I also need a cam shaft. I've got my eye on one that looks identical to mine. I had the seller give me some of it's basic dimensions and it matches up with what I've got. - Mine has broken teeth....

Last item would be intake and exhaust lifters. Without the model number, I'm not sure how I would pick the correct parts.

Everything else, like bearings, gaskets, bolts, etc. are available online and shouldn't cause me to lose too much sleep.

Anything you could tell me would be appreciated...

the cam and lifters should all be about the same too.. As long as you are talking 1970's 1980's engines... No extended cam shaft.. but short standard cam... Any 1979 HS40 HS50 cam should work... just have the guy selling ya the cam throw in the lifters in from the same motor...

Flywheel is a bitch... I've seen people post where you can still buy the system new.. but they aren't cheap.. The flywheel I couldn't say right off the top of my head what the part number is...

But it will be cast aluminum, and look just like a 2.5 horse aluminum flywheel from the outside, but the taper is bigger, and has a ring magnet all the way around the inside of the flywheel..

Aluminum, only works on HS motors..

ELT

My Rupp roadster 2 (and engine) have been in pieces for 30 years. I'm just getting back to rebuilding it. I'm tackling the engine while a friend is dealing with the frame, etc. The first problem I've run into is that there is no information on the shroud as to which HS40 model I have. I need to acquire a few parts and without the model number I'm stuck. I was fairly young when the roadster 2 was purchased for my brother, so i have no idea what year the bike is either. (Early to mid 70's is all I can say) Does anybody know how to determine which HS40 model I have?
I had a HS40 engine with no tag and one day sombody had one on ebay with the tag numbers listed. Here they are HS40 55388E ser.51218 I used these numbers and ended up with the right parts. Good luck

Thanks so much guys. I won the bid on the cam and have asked the seller about the lifters. We'll see what happens. I'll also investigate the part number/model number provided in the thread. :smile:

This flywheel on ebay looks pretty good. Does everybody feel that this would fit my 70's HS40? Are there questions that I need to ask this seller? Sorry, but I lack experience with flywheels, so I need opinions before buying. If it doesn't fit, I assume it's an item people would want, right?

This flywheel on ebay looks pretty good. Does everybody feel that this would fit my 70's HS40? Are there questions that I need to ask this seller? Sorry, but I lack experience with flywheels, so I need opinions before buying. If it doesn't fit, I assume it's an item people would want, right?
Do you have the lighted stator to go along with this flywheel?Both parts work together,and are not interchangable between HS40 aluminum flywheels.Something to keep in mind. Also, prepair to open your wallet..

Sorry guys. I'm very new to engine building. I know the theory, just need the hands on skills and some support from experts. What I have is a box of parts and a willingness to make it come back to life. It appears that this ezee start magneto contains the coil, points, etc. Is this correct? It has not only the spark plug wire, but a hookup for the headlight/tail light. If so, would a single magnet flywheel work with it?

If it is the original parts it does have a lighting coil to run your headlights

(Roadster)

You don't NEED the lighted flywheel right off the bat.. as long as you have an aluminum HS40 or 50 wheel, it will fit and run.. it will just cause low power and surging to your headlight due to the lack of charging magnets.. You'll want to get the right flywheel eventually.. but if you HAD a non lighted one, it will get the engine running for now...

Sorry guys. I'm very new to engine building. I know the theory, just need the hands on skills and some support from experts. What I have is a box of parts and a willingness to make it come back to life. It appears that this ezee start magneto contains the coil, points, etc. Is this correct? It has not only the spark plug wire, but a hookup for the headlight/tail light. If so, would a single magnet flywheel work with it?
From what your describing you have the original magneto.(stator plate) To run your lights.Like I mentioned already,that magneto won't work with a standard 4 hp aluminum flywheel. Slightly to big. You'll end up screwing up your magneto or flywheel or possibly both.If you have a standard 4 hp aluminum wheel use a readily available standard magneto to fit.