HS40 Unique Features

j57little

I have an engine that appears to be an HS40 that I want to use on my Roadster 2 restoration. It appears that it came from a Fox, but has a working lighting coil. I have seen numerous articles on identifying a proper HS40 as used on a Roadster 2, but I wanted to see if there is a single list (or photos) of identifying features. For example:
- Lighting Coil has a unique shroud, presumably for the wires to exit???
- Shroud has studs for recoil (not the large Phillips screws on some)
- Intake manifold is angled at 11 degrees
The last thing I want to do is invest in an engine restoration only to find that I missed a major characteristic and all the experts have a new source of amusement that I can't fix. Like it is with most mere mortals, small engines look pretty much the same to me. I can rebuild them, but...they still look pretty much the same. So for the many experts out there, thank you for your advice. I appreciate all information that keeps me from wondering in a mine field! Any additional items or photos that can be added to the list above would really help in my efforts to rebuild an HS40 that is as true to original as possible.

buckeye

Needs a longer crankshaft for a Rupp tav to fit I believe.

You don't need a angled intake if you have a diaphragm carb like some came with.
That's all.I know and it may not be accurate.:laugh:

I'll be listing a 3" PTO hs40 crank as wel as some bearing side covers and other specific parts. Lighted shroud and so on. If you need something PM me

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]

j57little

I knew about the added PTO length on the Rupps, but I've also heard that the TAV soaks up the extra length and the shorter shaft will work. And yes, I do have the shorter shaft, but just as a dry fit check, it seems to line up. I do have the angled intake manifold so I can reproduce the accurate position of the carb. I wil have to double check to see if the shorter length really does work. Thanks for the reply! Jack

markus

The "unique" things on a Rupp (or any other slanted/lighted application) shroud will be it has to have stud mounting for the recoil (that is important on 73-down round top shrouds 74-up square top shrouds they were usually standard. and the mounting stud location needs to be at 10-2-4-7 o'clock or the recoil will not sit right.

Little changes from there will depend on the year your are trying to replicate, like the style of the throttle arm or complete assy, sometimes differences in the air deflector tin.

1971_MB1A

I have a correct 1971 lighted HS40 complete with TAV. Runs great...and still on the original Rupp Roadster 2 from day 1 if interested.