HS50, Good Deal?!?

Well today I saw an ad on CL for a 4hp tec. on an edger so I gave the guy a call and ended up bringing this baby home instead. Used to be a snowblower I was told engine given the key start and 2 shafts but the shorter one comes out only an inch or less so I hope it wont matter. Anyways it runs good and only cost me $30 given the guy only lived 5 miles from my house:thumbsup: If anyone could tell me if I need to change anything before I throw it on my fox or about the serial number that would be awesome! The serial number is HS50-67008A SER-5241B Thanks!:drinkup:

Well, if it's an HS50 it's a 5 horse. I would take the recoil off and rotate it counter clockwise one set of screw holes so it pulls upward more than forward, it should have an air cleaner instead of the snowblower thing on the carb, and that second shaft you can just cut off if it gets in your way. You got a pretty good deal if it runs. Hell the carb is worth 30 bucks. :thumbsup: You can also remover that goofy shield thing by the rope when you move your starter around..

There is an easy way to remove the extra shaft. Mount the engine. Start it up. At idle apply a hack saw to the shaft right tight to the block. Apply slight pressure and the engine will do the rest of the work for you. It gives a pefectly straight cut.

delray

also you will need a slant intake on that fox. the engine sits at a angle,so the bowl for the carb needs to be level and yes you will need a air cleaner. go with the factory round air cleaner. tecumseh throttle assy, works real good. can't see what type of governor spring you have on your engine?,but most factory springs will work with the minibike throttle kit that you are looking at to buy. if not? you still can buy the governor spring.
what are you going to run? torque converter or a centrifugal clutch. looks like you are saying a clutch? might be little work in setting it up on that fox frame. i don't have any fox frames with the slant mount,so it's hard to say how hard a clutch set up would be. but i do think i have the correct handle bars for that bike.
nice thing about that 5hp motor is that it is the same size has the factory 4hp motor.so everything should line up and the extra hp should help with a clutch set up.

ya but if he leaves that on there hows he gona get an air filter on?
It still fits. They use those motors on rototillers too. You just can't flip one upside down is all.. Delray has a good point about your intake.. If your Fox is one of the bikes with the engine angled at 30 degrees you might need an intake, but a diaphragm carb will work on an angle too and probably a lot cheaper than an intake.. The only problem there is if your bike IS the slanted motor one, the air cleaner might hit the frame.... I just went through this with a guy looking for an HS50, essentially the same motor... So i drew up a basic idea where stuff lands.. Your will sit even lower because this air cleaner is upside down... I measured from the engine mounting plate and center of the rear bolt hole...
[/IMG]

Well just bought that throttle assy. off ebay, so I checked that off the list. Now I need an air filter and slanted intake. Could anyone help my score some links to them or where I could purchase them at? Thanks!:doah:

delray

here you go MTF:smile:. MAKE YOU A DEAL .
$25 bucks and will sell you a pair of fox handle bars that look to be thunder bolt bars and a air cleaner housing assy. missing one screw and will need to get a new air cleaner. both are easy to find in madison,hardware store for the screw and farm and fleet for the air cleaner.
a 12 tooth clutch would be better than a 13.:thumbsup: