hs50 idle issue

I have an hs50 with an adjustable carb. It starts up and runs and idles nice but when warmed up, the idle picks up and runs too fast. The acceleration is excellant. Could someone shine some light on this. Could be an air leak? Thanks, John

My HS50 has been temperamental too. Try tuning it so it needs a little choke to run until it warms up. That is, will not idle when 1st stated without the choke on 1 or 2 notches. After it warms up after riding a little, it will run better with the choke off. After it's warm, it will idle slower, anyway has been my experience.

Also, will not ldle right until carb is perfectly clean. Especially check the very small jet just above the threads of the adjustable jet. Use tag wire to make sure it is clean. :thumbsup:

buckeye

Tough to start too I bet.
Do ya totally close the choke til ip pops and then partially open or keep it closed until it starts??

My HS50 has been temperamental too. Try tuning it so it needs a little choke to run until it warms up. That is, will not idle when 1st stated without the choke on 1 or 2 notches. After it warms up after riding a little, it will run better with the choke off. After it's warm, it will idle slower, anyway has been my experience.

Also, will not ldle right until carb is perfectly clean. Especially check the very small jet just above the threads of the adjustable jet. Use tag wire to make sure it is clean. :thumbsup:
Very good info...I adjust mine to run the same way and have always gotten good results.

toomanytoys

If you want to check for an air leak around your intake, carefully spray a little starting fluid around the flanges. You will hear a change in the motor if its sucking air

it is just an issue with idle fuel mixture.....

When the motor warms up, and is racing... Set your idle SPEED back down, so that it is idling the right speed.. Carburetors should be dialed in to it's warm running temperature...

THEN when the engine is cold, you will probably need to give it just a little throttle whilst it's warming up.. Maybe just let it idle with the choke half on...

If the governor is setup perfect, it will hold itself running at cold idle...

Mostly your idle fuel is probably a BIT too rich, so once it's warmed up and burning the fuel, it speeds up.. but it's choking and chugging just a little on cold idle.. I'd just set the idle to run the right speed when warm...

Then when it's cold..... And ya start it and if it want s to st stumble and die... Try screwing the idle fuel screw in just a touch... 1/16 of a turn or so.. and see if it cleans up..

buckeye

TRK, not to jack the thread but, mine is a bear to start. I close the choke all the way and it takes like 100 pulls to start and my old man arm can't take that. Then other times it starts after 5 pulls. I don't get it. Any clues or suggestions.
Sorry if I jacked the thread. it may be useful to you as well.

Some times they're like that... :laugh: Try screwing the idle fuel out more and the idle up a little bit and see if it helps it start cold...

Look and see if your carb has the tube on the bowl vent.. If so you can just plug a primer bulb onto those carbs and hit the primer a couple times.. If you look at the top of the carb, same side as the idle mixture screw, on the back side kinda kitty corner the idle fuel screw, there will be like a little brass tube sticking out at a 45 degree angle.. It's only like 3/8 inch long.... I've noticed these newer carbs that HAS that tube, DO start a little harder for some reason.. :glare: I think the hole through the center of the emulsion tube is bigger, so theres more cavity, needing more vacuum to pull fuel up the tube...

But thats just a guess.. :laugh:

Also, if it starts a little hard no matter what, the carb may be too big for the motor..

buckeye

It is the original h50 like 73 or something like that. And the original carb. When it running it runs unreal for 40 something years old.