HS50 Production Question

I have this one, it's marked HS50-67033 2242B you probaly know this, but the last set of numbers on a Tec give you the year, date and line number. So mine is a '72 built on the 242nd. day of the year. I have 4 total but this is the oldest, well accualy 3 and one craftsman. I had to buy three minibikes from a guy to get this engine. It's all I wanted but it was a package deal. He thought it was locked up, but the rope was pulled all the way out and knoted, when I grabed the pto side It turned. I brought it home and swaped recoils and put a fresh carb on it and it runs like a champ. Since, I went through it and put a Mikuni on it for my Daughters Charger.

Last edited:
Thanks Randy, I was just wondering since Rupp never used the HS50 but apparently the engine was available in 72. Figured since Rupp was competitive why did they not use that engine on some of their bikes?...

Also I was looking over the paperwork that came with my NOS HS50 shortblock and it looks like it's dated 1983 which sounds about right since its that blackish/grey color, but its old enough to use the points but not the newer electronic type.

delray

i would think HS motors all started at the same time?maybe not?
i have hs-40(not a 50) date code 1970 on my columbia, my dad purchase new.