HS50 shipping costs?

jspbtown

I have a Tecumseh HS50 that I have cleaned up and I have had several people asking about shipping but I have no idea what it might cost. Yes, I understand it depends on where its coming from and to where its going but anyone every ship one. It will be going about 900 miles.

Also...how did you pack it? A regular box and lots of bubble wrap?

If you know the total weight and the size of the box you are using you can call your local UPS Store and they will provide you with shipping costs if you give them the delivery address.
Michael

cfh

I have gotten HS50 engines off ebay. cheapest ship is FedEx ground, and it's around $40. Coming to MI from WI and NY and MA it's always been about $40. that's what i have seen. One came UPS and it was way more expensive.

Last edited:
Impossible to say without knowing the zip code it's shipping from, where it's going to, box weight and dimensions. Check with UPS, FedEx and USPS to get rates. Use whatever you or the buyer is comfortable with. UPS is also cheaper when shipping to a commercial address (like someone's work) than a residential. That can be a substantial difference in the price.

For packing, if you can drop it from 2'-3' off the ground and it won't get damaged you should be good to go. A box with a bunch of bubble wrap should be good. Maybe add some extra cardboard or heavy foam on the ends of the crank so they don't punch through the box. I can tell you UPS guys don't give a fuck. You could cover it in fragile stickers and they'll still throw it across their truck if it's in their way. The ONLY thing I've seen our driver be careful with is big TVs. He's said to never have one shipped because of the aforementioned reason.

ANY answer you get that has a number is someone blowing smoke up your ass. I dealt with that constantly when selling on Ebay. "Well I bought the same thing from another seller and shipping was only $20, why do you want $50?". They'd usually shut up when I gave them the numbers, the zip code it was shipping from and told them to run the numbers themselves to see what it would cost me to ship to them. Shipping is fucking expensive for a lot of things unless going local.

I do shipping/receiving for a Harley dealership and also sold on Ebay for that dealership for over 10 years (over 15,000 transactions). I've shipped a few things with the big 3 carriers.

Last edited:

Midyrman

For a given distance, the box dimensions drive the cost. You could fill the box with popcorn or cement and the cost will be the same (unless you want to insure the popcorn). It’s space you are paying for unless you break the handlers’ backs. An HS50 is well within the weight assigned to the box size you will use.