I could not say no to this Big thing, anyone know what it is?

This things obviously not all original parts, that back wheel is HUGE! way to big for the bike as it sets. it has a comet clutch on the side of that HM80 Tecumseh monster motor. really i am just wondering what the frame of it is so I can look that up and see about getting it back to it's original state or close to it. It is a big ole bike for sure.

i am not sure yet if those front forks have springs in them yet, if they do they are seized up.

Thanks if you can help.

toomanytoys

The back wheel appears to be the factory size.

Looks like the only thing missing is the jack shaft mount, band brake on the jack shaft, and the driven clutch and belt.

Wouldn't be hard to get rolling again.

Front tire is wrong.

I say just split the prize money 50/50 and everybodys Happy Happy Happy :wink:

Thats a beautiful bike YOOP :thumbsup:

I really like my 7 :thumbsup: It was not the prettiest when I bought it :wink:

Last edited:
You guys are awesome! Wow. i am on this now like sink on poo. LOL so I am guessing the throw out clutch thing does not even go to this monster and all I need is that jack shaft plate and get that rolling again.

apparently some one hard tailed it then? welded in straight rods when nice cushy suspension used to be? or do some of them come like this?

the front of mine has no boots on it and it does not move at all. so i will need to fix that as well. You think 75 bucks was a good buy on this ?

this pic is AWESOME! it looks looks my old heath Kt Boonie Bike on sterioids! same paint scheme and everything.

I keep flipping back and Fourth to see what they have done to my rear suspension. is there some kind of seat plat on yours? the seat being hinged onto the top of the shocks. mines literally sitting on the frame

Thanks again for all this help.

Just went out to examine this thing again, it appears some one has tossed the rear shocks, welded a bracket to each side and bolted the seat to the brackets to make this the roughest riding super bronc of all time. also, the rear tire diameter is so monstrous that the tread touches the motor mount plate. i examined this thinking that if the plate were cut, rounded that the tore would clear it.. although i would probably not do that, i would just get a tire that fit, but it has already been done. The motor plate is rounded out and it still rubs. i am suspecting that the modifier did not take into a count that the plate he was cutting also held the jack shaft and if he cut more off the jack shaft would no longer fit in there. this tire is incredibly impressive, wish it was just a little smaller diameter. The hing is present on the front of the seat. lower shock mounts are not present. looking like some fabrications will be needed to undo the funkyness.

It would be fun still just to make it go, but i want to make it go like it used to go, long ago. Oh yeah, neither of the shaft assemblies I have here ever went to this bike. in fact, I think one of them was may be some piece to a tiller. LOL

Last edited:
It's not a VT7 it is a VT8..... That is an 8 horse Tecumseh.. Most all the 8 horses had lights I wanna say.. There might be a lighting coil in your motor... :drool:

The jackshaft is the hardest part to find for these bikes.. I am guessing because the big mount, acting as a tower, and huge torque and dead weight of the giant machine, and a giant engine rocking a TAV unit, TWISTS the jackshaft mounts around under the load, and burns up bearings and belts and shit like that..

SO, that part is pretty pricey and rare-ish to get..BUT, you could just clone your own With some steel and Comet parts, and be all great...

For 75 dollars you did great..

It's not a VT7 it is a VT8..... That is an 8 horse Tecumseh.. Most all the 8 horses had lights I wanna say.. There might be a lighting coil in your motor... :drool:

The jackshaft is the hardest part to find for these bikes.. I am guessing because the big mount, acting as a tower, and huge torque and dead weight of the giant machine, and a giant engine rocking a TAV unit, TWISTS the jackshaft mounts around under the load, and burns up bearings and belts and shit like that..

SO, that part is pretty pricey and rare-ish to get..BUT, you could just clone your own With some steel and Comet parts, and be all great...

For 75 dollars you did great..

Good to know that I am not just failing in the " find a jack shaft assembly for a reasonable price" Department. really I haven't even seen one at all that is for this bike specifically. i did see someone posted a few pics of what turned out to be a VT10 assembly but it was not ever for sale, he was just asking what it was. has a disk brake set up and looks like it would work for mine, at least I have some Idea of what they are supposed to be like.

I will have to build one I suppose unless I just get crazy lucky. I have never done it before but i am pretty good at making stuff. Not super great at welding yet but I will learn, luckily I am proficient with a grinder and cut off wheel. LOL Gotta hide those nasty ass weld jobs somehow.

This Oughtta be interesting. I bet you are right about the reason for these being hard to find. i will have to keep that mind when I am knocking out this shaft , assembly, looks like serious over kill in the strength dept will be prudent. Not only is the bike big and heavy but the mountains I would be using it on seriously steep and I am not a little guy LOL. this will need to be a gear range that can pull the bike, a near 300 pound Rider and whatever the hell i just shot and loaded onto the single track trailer that I haven't built yet Up a tree. Ha!

That Engines a HM80 I thought HH when I first got it but HM upon closer inspection with the cam. would be cool if it does have lighting, I have the perfect light for it if it does. if not I will have to rig something LED up. would be cool o fix this back to original design bu from what I have been seeing as far as prices of parts, the parts for this are way higher than I would want to afford. If I cant make it how it used to be, I will just make it better. :O)

so the VT followed by the number is the HP of the motor eh? I have seen a lot of these with an entirely different front end. must be that they were different for the years as well. like a 71 vt8 would be different from a 79 VT8. right? i am going to just dig through all my parts and see what i can come up with as far as jack shaft build. seems to me that something can be rigged up that would not cost me an arm and a leg.

Thanks again.

Ron Kimble is the guy who invented them back in the day.. He's still around and still has a warehouse full of NOS stuff... I can't remember the website, but he is based out of Benton Harbor Michigan..

YEAH you'd never put an HH80 in a bike.. I don't think they ever made an HH80 but if they did, it would be a couple hundred pounds.. :laugh:

toomanytoys

Do a search on here for super bronc jack shaft

You will find that people have made them a ton of different ways.

Its not an end all on the jack shaft plate with a bit of using your head. Jeep2003 did a nice little set up with a pillow block bearing and using an aluminum TAV backing plate. Seemed to do the job well.

I was thinking a chunk of frame rail.. My little junkyard in town gets brand new lengths of frame rail for motorhomes and firetrucks and that kind of stuff.. It's like C channel.. It might be too wide, but a 4 or 5 inch long chunk of THAT shit turned on it's side would handle some beating.. :hammer:

Motra

Ron Kimble is the guy who invented them back in the day.. He's still around and still has a warehouse full of NOS stuff... I can't remember the website, but he is based out of Benton Harbor Michigan..

YEAH you'd never put an HH80 in a bike.. I don't think they ever made an HH80 but if they did, it would be a couple hundred pounds.. :laugh:
Power Tec Replacement Parts | Kimball Hauler | Heald Hauler | Chi Products | Haulmaster Hauler | Pug | Super Bronc | Trail Bronc | Heald Hauler Parts | Super Bronc Parts | Super Tryke Parts | Haulmaster Hauler Parts

That's and awesome offer that I cannot refuse strangrcr1! certainly would help me to bang one of those out. also seeing it the way you just presented it is extremely helpful as well. looks like a few other things I have had to mfg - Your measurements would be awesome to have.

the rest if you guys are really helpful as well, great ideas. I generally don't go buy brand new stock when I have to make something, much cheaper to get something someone else thinks is a piece of junk and turn it into something else! LOL my campers about to get a new backsplash for the stove for instance, used to be the front of a free dishwasher. ha! gotta be creative to live the way I do.

Thanks guys! I thought had another super bronc two days ago, some dude in Nampa had one up for sale with no motor but he sold it. i asked how much he got for it and he said five hundred dollars! GASP! LOL i guess i really did do well on this bronc. I need to get this one and the trail cycle going. i think I may post my 1972 RV90's (van van's) up b4 too long to fund this restoration, they are fun but they wont do what I need them to do as well or as cool as these two old school bikes. plus i am thinking they will ring some good change.