I hope this isn't a violation but...

jspbtown

Does an a good running Tecumseh 4hp have any value? Or are they a dime a dozen thing that would make a better piece of nice "shelf art" in my office?

mustangfrank

Does an a good running Tecumseh 4hp have any value? Or are they a dime a dozen thing that would make a better piece of nice "shelf art" in my office?
Depends on the age and whether it's an original minibike engine or not...snowblower pull offs have been getting 100-150+, OG minibike engines have been going for several hundred surprisingly.

jspbtown

I will take a look at the serial number. It came off an Arctic Cat I rebuilt for someone so I have no idea if it was original or a replacement at some time. It has the aluminum flywheel and points. Thanks for the info
main front.jpg

mustangfrank

I will take a look at the serial number. It came off an Arctic Cat I rebuilt for someone so I have no idea if it was original or a replacement at some time. It has the aluminum flywheel and points. Thanks for the info
View attachment 283471
Tank is wrong/newer but you'll be surprised what that'll fetch even if it is just dressed to look correct. Nice engine, I like the silver ones.

FunWithStuff

It looks like it has an aftermarket carburetor on it and the muffler is either an aftermarket or has been modified. The air cleaner cover also appears to be missing as well. Everything else like the housing has probably been redone or is just in amazing shape and can add to the value of the engine. I've seen modified/restored Tecumseh mini bike engines like this bring hundreds on eBay before. They don't bring as much as original ones do but they can still fetch a decent amount.

I don't know a lot about Arctic Cats, but if you could tell us what model Arctic Cat you are working on/rebuilding we might be able to give you more info about what is and isn't original about the engine.

jspbtown

Yes, it is an aftermarket carb and the exhaust is from Black Widow Motorsports. A new air cleaner is on the way. Yes...I detailed and painted all the parts. I am not trying to suggest that this is an all original motor. My original post described it as "Does an a good running Tecumseh 4hp..."

It came with the Arctic Cat below. It was left in a garage for decades and was dirty and not running. The owner of the Arctic Cat wanted a little more hp so he decided to upgrade to a 5hp. He left me with this one and I was board so I wanted to see if I could get it running. So I cleaned it up, replaced the carb, the exhaust (the original was re-installed on the bike) , the plug, the head gasket, the oil, the fuel line, and added the tank that I had laying around.

In no way was I trying to represent it as "all original" but just as a clean looking, good running Tecumseh 4hp.

I may just keep it in my office as I think they look cool.

done.jpeg

f4radar

I’m surprised the gentleman with the Arctic cat didn’t want to transfer the flywheel & shroud if he was concerned about the muffler. Must have had a lightning coil on both engines.

jspbtown

Good comment on the lighting coil. There was not one on the 4hp I took off so maybe it was not original to the bike? It still has the tag on it...maybe I will get the serial number.

I did add a lighting coil to the 5hp.

And yes...I thought asking for values was against rules but I did not know asking if something "had value" was. If so then the moderator can remove this posting.

mustangfrank

I’m surprised the gentleman with the Arctic cat didn’t want to transfer the flywheel & shroud if he was concerned about the muffler. Must have had a lightning coil on both engines.
At least ditch the snowblower recoil handle and "cup" if not the flywheel and shroud.

Oh the Arctic Cat is long gone. It was a great story.....Guy in his 50s contacted me because it was in his fathers garage, his father was ill, and he wanted to get it running. I said I would help him. He wanted it to be cleaned up, safe to ride, running well, an will all the patina (including dents and scratches) from when he rode it as a kid

We set up a time for him to drop it off and he was a no show. Didn't hear from him until a about a month later. Apparently his father had died and he was so busy with the arrangements but he wanted to drop it off.

Got the bike, cleaned it, repowered it, replaced safety things on it and got it running great. He came over with his wife and kid and when I opened the garage be broke down in tears. He said it would be a great memory of his father. The wife confided in me that her husband was literally crying every day in anticipation of seeing the bike again in working order.

Great story....and certainly something I was happy to be a part of and will always remember.

FunWithStuff

Yes, it is an aftermarket carb and the exhaust is from Black Widow Motorsports. A new air cleaner is on the way. Yes...I detailed and painted all the parts. I am not trying to suggest that this is an all original motor. My original post described it as "Does an a good running Tecumseh 4hp..."

It came with the Arctic Cat below. It was left in a garage for decades and was dirty and not running. The owner of the Arctic Cat wanted a little more hp so he decided to upgrade to a 5hp. He left me with this one and I was board so I wanted to see if I could get it running. So I cleaned it up, replaced the carb, the exhaust (the original was re-installed on the bike) , the plug, the head gasket, the oil, the fuel line, and added the tank that I had laying around.

In no way was I trying to represent it as "all original" but just as a clean looking, good running Tecumseh 4hp.

I may just keep it in my office as I think they look cool.

View attachment 283481
You did really good on restoring that engine because it is hard to tell it apart from an original one aside from the aftermarket parts! That's a great story you shared about the bike as well, that was awesome what you did to help those people out!