I waited a year for this????????

late last year, before i got my first doodlebug, i picked up a mini chopper off cl for $150. It went in to the shop - cuz at that point i still knew nothing about these things. This was also before i found this site.

Well I finally got it back today (9 months later) and i'm somewhat dissapointed. Its a 50cc 2 stroke. When i got it back today one of the first things i noticed was there was no clutch on the shaft, or if it had one it was built into the motor and hidden.

It has lights, blinkers, and electric start but the pile wont even move me from a stopped position. :crying: I thought that a 2 stroke motor had more power than a 4 stroke but this bike is slooooooooow.

I wish i never would have bought it........ Hopefully i can get my $300 in repairs back somehow.....

:repuke:

TomH

We all got to live and learn. You got a pile as it sits, and you will never get all your money back. Cut your losses, or throw some more money at it. Put a clone on there with either a clutch or a tav and run the wheels off of it. Or dump it and go on. You know the story..Good bike..needs a little work..make offer

Hey Sun, sorry for what happened to ya, but hey, take that fake motor and that 50cc motor off there and put a nice 6.5hp clone motor on there. It will definitely make a difference. You might even want to beef up that clone and then you better hold on. Then You will have a really Nice, fast Chopper. But that's just a suggestion. Good Luck! :thumbsup: :biggrin:

It can be done, the chinese have done it............they have polished a turd, unfortunately you scooped it up.(been there-done that:doah:)

It looks nice so if you really like it you can make it nice with a bit of work and more money or just dump it and move on.

That is a decent looking bike and either a 6.5 clone or horizontal 4-speed honda clone engine from 110cc to 150cc size would make it come alive.

I want the 2 stroke engine like that with the electric start for a tiny project.I got a small TAV with gear reducion that would bolt onto that and be perfect for a tiny pet project.

DMR

late last year, before i got my first doodlebug, i picked up a mini chopper off cl for $150. It went in to the shop - cuz at that point i still knew nothing about these things. This was also before i found this site.

Well I finally got it back today (9 months later) and i'm somewhat dissapointed. Its a 50cc 2 stroke. When i got it back today one of the first things i noticed was there was no clutch on the shaft, or if it had one it was built into the motor and hidden.

It has lights, blinkers, and electric start but the pile wont even move me from a stopped position. :crying: I thought that a 2 stroke motor had more power than a 4 stroke but this bike is slooooooooow.

I wish i never would have bought it........ Hopefully i can get my $300 in repairs back somehow.....

:repuke:

CC for CC 2-Strokes Do have more power than 4-strokes (up to a certain point), that 50cc 2-stroke has more power than a 50cc 4-stroke would. If you want power throw a Mculloch Mc101A in there (125cc 2-stroke, 14-16hp stock):thumbsup:

I say take the motor off it and make a weed-wacker. Your friends and neighbors will be so impressed with an electric start weed-wacker they'll forget all about that minibike.

that engine would be good for a tom thumb or something :) But id say your gear ratio is probrobly part of the problem. that looks like a pretty big gear on the engine side

125ccCrazy

those choppers are way too big for the weedwacker engine, the engines can be modded to run fairly good, I had a couple I built for my kids, thier pocket bikes would run 40-45mph.... I'd do as suggested above and throw a clone or maybe a briggs 5hp on it and have fun..

65ShelbyClone

It's a neat bike, but I agree that the 50cc smoker is not enough engine for it. It's probably around 2-3hp and has no torque at all. I would weld in new mounts for an engine and jackshaft and give it a good utility engine upgrade. You might even be able to make up some of that cost by selling the engine to some pocketbiker. If you want to work with what's there, try a smaller sprocket on the engine, a bigger one on the back, or both.

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of shop and what kind of work took nine months and $300?

I like them, but I agree a nice briggs would make it sound the part. They are always to much money for me locally for sale so I avoid them. Price is the only reason though. They still sell high out here like $300+

the whole 9 month thing happened cuz the mechanic at the bike shop had setup certain machines at the toyota plant here in san antonio and he had to go back 5 days a week to toyota to adjust for all the recalls..(he is still going 5 days a week) not to mention he had repairs at the bike shop stacking up..

the funny thing is - got that bike not knowing anything about minibikes and choppers and while it was in the shop, i found this site and have since modded two db30's and a mb165.:grind::hammer::laugh:

AND NOW THE GAS TANK IS LEAKING!! no doubt about it. this is gonna get stripped down, a 6.5 installed and im switching out to ape hanger handlebars. These handle bars hit my leg after two inches of steering

it does need a plate welded so the new motor can have a mount

cxbra

Nice to see you're goin to make use of it, it will make a mean 6.5hp cruiser. Being a bike mechanic myself, Im wondering what he did to your bike to charge $300? At my shop, when someone brings in a $100 bike w/ $200 worth of maintainence, we let them know.. "look, its not worth it.. Save the money in the long run and get a quality bike that wont need nearly as much maintainence." Sometimes people do want a old, cheap bike "restored" to working order and we try to talk them out of it.. they end up spending like $200 for a cheap ass bike w/ nice components on it. I guess your guy just really needed some money??:shrug:

Kind of curious, would you still be able to use the electric start and all the lights (headlight, blinkers, etc.) with a clone engine. I may be in the same situation, but I really want the lights and all.

Kind of curious, would you still be able to use the electric start and all the lights (headlight, blinkers, etc.) with a clone engine. I may be in the same situation, but I really want the lights and all.
i dont see why you couldn't do it if you got a clone with electric start and a light coil . granted you will have to rewire things some to get them to work but i dont think that would be all that bad.