I'm going to pick up a never been run 30 year old engine

My restoration project engine looks to be pretty much shot. 5 years of being run hard followed by 25 years of neglect makes it look like ti's more trouble than it's worth.

However, I just found a guy who has a direct replacement 5 HP Briggs and Stratton Engine. At least from the pics I've seen it looks to be. He claims that it's a 1980 something that's still in the box and never been run.

I assume that they would come from the factory pre oiled, right? Should I be worried about any corrosion? Is there any thing I should be worried about. Any reason I can't just fill the crank case with oil and tank with gas and fire it up?

KB2ROCKET

Pull the rope slowly it should feel and sound smooth if it does and it has compression and a spark you should be good to go
just keep in mind the first time you start it it's value will drop alot I'm not saying you shouldn't run it just be aware that they don't make them any more
have fun

If its not siezed I would not get too worried but no harm in opening it up and checking it.

What is this ( check the numbers ) a cool bore?

Before I ran it I would put some oil down the spark plug and some inthe case and trun the motor upside down to coat everythig with oil because after all this time its probably dry everywhere

I only got to do a quick check on it. I'll do a more thorough one tonight. It's a 130202 - just like the one it's replacing. Everything is still coated in assembly lube and she pulls over nice and smooth with the plug out. With the plug in it's got great compression. The air cleaner still has oil in it. And I can see from the top of the exhaust valve that it has never been run.

So, just curious. How much is something like this worth? It came in the original package with the owners manual and first starting guide. I hope I'm not going to ruin a national treasure or anything by starting it.

Well, what matters to me is resurrecting my very first powered two wheeler. This is the bike I learned to ride on when I was 4 years old. To have the correct engine for the bike in perfect working order and to have my son and my nephew (my brother also learned to ride on this bike) learn on the same bike that their dads did is worth more to me than an unrun engine.

Mostly, I was just fishing to see if I got a good deal or not!

I just checked the spark - even on the original plug, it had a nice blue spark. The throttle was a little sticky, but I found out it was the bellcrank on the carb throat that was gummed up. I just had to back the bolt out a little, add some oil and work it back and forth. It's free now.

I guess the next thing to do is to add some oil and gas and see what I got!

Here's a few pics of my new purchase:

All it took was six pulls to cut the value of this engine in half - and I couldn't be happier. It sounds exactly like the minibike I remember riding. Here's a quick video comparing the original engine to the new one. Next time I start her up, she'll be attached to something though.

First Start

Last edited: