Is a 212 Predator to big for a 13 year old?????

So my son is building his first mini bike. The frame is a 69 Rupp. We picked up a barely used Predator 212.
A question for you guys that have been doing this for a while, and please answer honestly, is the 212 to big for a 135 pound, strong 13 year old?
I came across an old thread on here and the guy posted the same question except his kids were 8 and 10. The responses were split about 50/50.
Obviously safety is my first concern but I want him to have fun, but riding a under powered bike is no fun either if I go with the 79CC Predator.
I see that I can turn down the amount of throttle travel so this could be an option.

Thanks,
Bob
IMG_5067.JPG
IMG_5060.JPG

gbabins1

So my son is building his first mini bike. The frame is a 69 Rupp. We picked up a barely used Predator 212.
A question for you guys that have been doing this for a while, and please answer honestly, is the 212 to big for a 135 pound, strong 13 year old?
I came across an old thread on here and the guy posted the same question except his kids were 8 and 10. The responses were split about 50/50.
Obviously safety is my first concern but I want him to have fun, but riding a under powered bike is no fun either if I go with the 79CC Predator.
I see that I can turn down the amount of throttle travel so this could be an option.

Thanks,
Bob
View attachment 106463
View attachment 106464
I think it's all in how you gear it. I have some that are torque monsters and others that are set up for top end, all 6.5 hp / 212cc. My kids have been riding for years now but started when they were pretty young. I turn down the throttle stop if the have friends come over to ride... regardless of their age, I gauge it more on their skill levels.
It's a great hobby to get into with your kids.

Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

When you say gearing im guessing you mean the clutch and rear sprocket? The clutch is a 12 tooth and the rear is a 60 tooth.

Thanks for your honest answer, this is a huge help.

We adopted the crawl, walk, run method for our Hemi bike and the 2 1/2 hp Briggs machine. First time mini bike for all four grandchildren.
Got a 79cc on the Hemi frame now. They all want to ride a bunch and then increase the performance a little at a time. But, we have the time and budget to do it. I have been reminded that the Hemi will power a Go Kart as well...
This has worked for our family so far. Your circumstances are different.
Keep the front tire near the ground,
SAT

gbabins1

Sure thing, anytime.
Yes exactly. Will your bike have a jackshaft? If so, this will make gearing changes really easy as your needs and wants change.

Example: more low end for off roading or maybe more speed for riding on the street or hard packed terrain. Most of our bikes were set up for riding trails through the sand. But recently we began riding on the road a little bit more so we just change the gearing according to what we want. Hope this helps.

Greg
B
When you say gearing im guessing you mean the clutch and rear sprocket? The clutch is a 12 tooth and the rear is a 60 tooth.

Thanks for your honest answer, this is a huge help.
Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

At 10, or 11, I was driving the Buick on dirt roads. I was riding all manner of dirt bikes, most of them around 125cc, and a two different 100cc street bikes on the road. I wasn't mature enough for heavy traffic, but I could certainly handle the machines, although I did crash a few times on the dirt bikes.

I don't think kids have changed much since 1970, despite the whining of old men on internet sites.

As bad ass as a 6HP Lawn Mower engine is, I'm pretty sure that 125 Yamaha Enduro would walk all over it.

Let him have it. Each child is going to be different in how they can handle riding a bike. Like said turn down the throttle to start and go from there. This kid went from riding a 50cc Suzuki to a 500cc Kawasaki, big step but I'm still here.

You know your kid best, but generally a thirteen-year-old should be able to handle a mini w/a Predator. By thirteen I was a couple of years past my first mini and was riding motorcycles. More than the bike, it comes down to the characteristics of the kid and the quality of instruction and supervision. Don't forget the gear. Now's the moment to reinforce the importance of wearing a helmet and all the gear every time he rides. It should become a habit for him.