Is Rear Suspension Only Worth It?

I've recently decided to build a simple off road kart/buggy and I'm considering a change of plans. Since this will be my first ground-up project I want to make it simple yet effective. My original plan was to buy a new motor (420cc) and build a full suspension buggy but that seems a little complex to start with (mostly in regards to the challenges of setting up the steering geometry on a suspended build). I already have a built 212cc on hand that I'm tinkering with, so now my plan is to use that engine on a kart that only has rear suspension. The kart will be used in open fields and trails in the woods. Just want something to smooth out the bumps on unprepared surfaces (my Manco Dingo is fun but it bucks over every sizeable bump - not comfortable at speed). I know of a few karts that use this setup - notably the Spidercarts Tarantula/Scorpion (attached picture).

Would it be worth building or should I just bite the bullet and go full suspension? I can use springer spindles on the front to hopefully smooth out the front end a little bit.

Attachments

JMO but if your going to do it I would either do front only, or front and back. I traded for a Murray cart last year and it is fully suspended. It was in the backround of a marketplace ad for another cart. I was able to negotiate for the Murray as that was what I had been looking for. I'm hoping to get to it this spring for the grandkids. I'll try to post up some pics of the front end.

Murray Hard Drive, right? How well does it ride? Pretty interesting front suspension on those but I feel like there would be bump steer given how those tie rods are. Why do you suggest front but no rear? The issue with my Dingo is how the back end kicks up over bumps - sort of like the old FL250s which did have front suspension but no rear. I feel like having rear suspension would soak up those bumps even without front. Plus front suspension is way harder to design than rear, since my rear suspension is basically just putting a hinge in the chassis. If I did end up going full suspension I might as well go with the 420cc as well.

I guess as an example how many minis do you see with front suspension only. That is where the main impacts occur and somewhat mitigated by the time the bounce has reached the back. You could always do rear now and front later but I still believe you could be a bit disappointed. Let me know how it turns out.

I guess as an example how many minis do you see with front suspension only. That is where the main impacts occur and somewhat mitigated by the time the bounce has reached the back. You could always do rear now and front later but I still believe you could be a bit disappointed. Let me know how it turns out.
Yeah that does make sense. The front suspension is going to do most of the cushioning. Might go full suspension then. I'll try single a-arm to keep it simple.

Also had another thought ( and boy it hurt) if you go with some tires like on mine, you can runt hem soft and get a modicum of comfort just from that.

Also had another thought ( and boy it hurt) if you go with some tires like on mine, you can runt hem soft and get a modicum of comfort just from that.
Yeah I'd be running 18" tires on the back and 16" on the front. Should cushion things out a bit. I decided that I'm going to go for a solid front end anyway. This is mostly to practice welding/fabrication. That way I can work my way up to a more complex build and eventually have 2 buggies rather than just one. Plus even if it's not ideal, it will certainly be better than my Manco Dingo.