Is This a Cat 400TS?

Hi all,
I just bought this frame. It will be my first venture into the mini bike world let alone my first build. I'm curious about what I actually bought. Is this a HPE Muskin Cat 400TS?

If it is, it looks like they removed the jack shaft tabs and brake tabs. The frame has been primered.

I was thinking about just getting a motor & throttle hooked up and figuring out the brake. Not sure yet if I want to attempt anything close to a full restoration. It sounds like parts are hard to come by.

Let me know what you think it is. Also, if you have any suggestions on how to do the brake, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

Attachments

45t

It looks like an MX Duster to me. It’s a rebadged 400 series cat bike sold through a department store (Jcpenneys). You can easily put a band brake on the clutch if your brake tab has been removed. 94EEF07B-2EC3-4A75-963E-4D2CAE3E81CF.jpeg

Last edited:
It looks like an MX Duster to me. It’s a rebadged 400 series cat bike sold through a department store (Jcpenneys). You can easily put a band brake on the clutch if your brake tab has been removed. View attachment 269857
Thanks 45T for the info. I'll do some more digging in that direction. The motor that came with the frame looks like the one in the picture. I thought I felt the remnants of the stud for the drum brake on the inside of the frame so I might have to weld one back in. I never thought about a brake on the clutch so I'll look at if that's easier/better.

desert rat

Your frame number will be on the left front of the engine plate. You can see a gray area on mine. be careful mine was not punched very deep.

Attachments