Just acquired these 2 Briggs from a Racer.

I found these for sale near me and struck a deal. I have not been a B/S owner for my minibikes but I grow tired of the clones on everything, soooooo.
What do I have here?
Things I know: 5 HP built at an engine shop for Kart racing in NY, OH, PA.
How do i know if they are Raptor or Animal?
Model 135232 type 7003 01 code 93060407

I am trying to load pictures from phone.....

I found these for sale near me and struck a deal. I have not been a B/S owner for my minibikes but I grow tired of the clones on everything, soooooo.
What do I have here?

IMG_20190401_154955791_HDR.jpg IMG_20190401_154848002_HDR.jpg IMG_20190401_154844143_HDR.jpg IMG_20190401_155049827_HDR.jpg IMG_20190401_154955791_HDR.jpg IMG_20190401_154848002_HDR.jpg IMG_20190401_154844143_HDR.jpg IMG_20190401_155049827_HDR.jpg

Attachments

What do I have here?

View attachment 242459 View attachment 242460 View attachment 242461 View attachment 242462 View attachment 242459 View attachment 242460 View attachment 242461 View attachment 242462

What do I have here?

Attachments

Those are Briggs Raptors, and welcome back from your break. The two major differences between them and the standard later 5HP (130202 for example) is that the valves are canted towards the piston. The other one is that in the Raptor II and later, the lifter bosses have been strengthened to take higher lift cams and stiffer springs. Stock, the Raptor had a hotter cam than the stock engine, and it had a freer flowing "kazoo" carburetor with no choke, and larger jet inserts. Starting without a choke is tedious, so you can out fit with standard Briggs carb which is what I did on one of my Raptors as a stealth engine. It's on a Tote Gote.

You can also go way hotter on cams, springs, rod, etc and get an intake manifold and a Mikuni VM and have a very hot running little motor. Regular recoil will work, and note the Raptor tank has a different bolt arrangement for the carb than the earlier- it is the same as the later model five HP engines however.

If you look at the way those carbs mount, I am almost positive it is the same bolt pattern as the later Five HP engines with the sloped or slanted fuel tank. Other differences in the block by the way are lack of a Gov hole, and ball bearing PTO. I forget if the Magneto side had a ball bearing.

Ironically, I just received a "Hot Shot" tank primer for the purpose of cranking chokeless Raptors today in the mail. So far, I am not impressed. If I fell into a couple of Raptors, I'd just go with a VM22, (Chikuni version of the Mikuni Carb, and a 107 Dyno cam. If you do ever get serious about building them, there are a few folks here who can give you some pointers on what works.

The guy told me these were built at a local shop for him that I know their name via the local speedway. I'm curious enough to open one up and peek. Thanks Dave!

If you look at the way those carbs mount, I am almost positive it is the same bolt pattern as the later Five HP engines with the sloped or slanted fuel tank. Other differences in the block by the way are lack of a Gov hole, and ball bearing PTO. I forget if the Magneto side had a ball bearing.

Ironically, I just received a "Hot Shot" tank primer for the purpose of cranking chokeless Raptors today in the mail. So far, I am not impressed. If I fell into a couple of Raptors, I'd just go with a VM22, (Chikuni version of the Mikuni Carb, and a 107 Dyno cam. If you do ever get serious about building them, there are a few folks here who can give you some pointers on what works.

Hi Havasu Dave,

I'm assembling parts to build a 5 hp Briggs, and just bought a Mikuni VM22. Do you know somewhere to buy an intake manifold that will work?

Hi Havasu Dave,

I'm assembling parts to build a 5 hp Briggs, and just bought a Mikuni VM22. Do you know somewhere to buy an intake manifold that will work?
Hi Bo, No, I've always had to make them. There are plenty for the Tillotson however, and I am sure they could be adapted. "Eric" (carplayLB) used to hang out here more often, but he had some solutions for the VM22. I believe he'd say to modify an existing manifold as well. What I would do is to call EC Carburetors and ask them if they have a solution. (615) 446-6807. You can also email them from their web site. I've had good luck with them on fitment for a variety of engines, but never about the Raptor.

Now that I am thinking about it, I bought a Briggs engine off of 125ccCrazy, and it had a manifold on it for the VM22 as well. He also recommends modifying the Tilly manifold by plugging the Tilly holes and redrilling for the VM22. Have to plug the tiny pulse hole as well. Note that those manifolds for the Tilly from EC are aluminum, and contain a vacuum port to run a fuel pump, should your tank mounting make it impossible to gravity feed.

Hi Bo, No, I've always had to make them. There are plenty for the Tillotson however, and I am sure they could be adapted. "Eric" (carplayLB) used to hang out here more often, but he had some solutions for the VM22. I believe he'd say to modify an existing manifold as well. What I would do is to call EC Carburetors and ask them if they have a solution. (615) 446-6807. You can also email them from their web site. I've had good luck with them on fitment for a variety of engines, but never about the Raptor.

Now that I am thinking about it, I bought a Briggs engine off of 125ccCrazy, and it had a manifold on it for the VM22 as well. He also recommends modifying the Tilly manifold by plugging the Tilly holes and redrilling for the VM22. Have to plug the tiny pulse hole as well. Note that those manifolds for the Tilly from EC are aluminum, and contain a vacuum port to run a fuel pump, should your tank mounting make it impossible to gravity feed.
Thanks for your help Dave!

I opened up one engine. The governor is tapped and plugged it also has a high oil tube hole plugged. It is using 2 springs on each valve and has a piston marked bsf-202-40 and stamped 040.
Is this a modified 5 hp. And the block that was never drilled for governor a raptor.

Raptors didn't use governors. The blocks I've had didn't have a hole at all. Maybe the later ones had a hole and tapped threads.

Anyway, I can see the canted the valves in the photo above so that block is a Raptor. The 5HP stuff bolts on.

Ok, Thanks.
I ordered an intake for a raptor but the bolt holes are to far apart on it. The block has narrow bolt holes. while the cleaner block that is still a complete assembly, is showing more cast around the intake with another hole for a screw. The cleaner block has a lot more reinforcement appearant on the outside. I beieive the intake is a bolt on to that block, but a grind and drill to use where I was starting. All that extra casting is missing on this one I have apart.

I have difficulty focusing on your description and photos, so I apologize. I can say that on the Raptor I, there was no build up of casting around the lifter bosses, so the kart racers of the time shored them up with weld sometimes. Later Raptor versions came with increased casting in that area. You will see this looking inside of the breather area.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect the later versions of the raptor were fitted with an extra intake hole. My raptor one did not have an extra intake hole, and I used a standard briggs intake for it. I'm pretty sure they came with standard intakes. Raptor one did not have the lifter shoring up either, as I state above. Subsequent version did. Apparently Briggs got input from the field and made the changes in their subsequent versions.

A lot of the Raptor guys are long gone from here, but I used to get good info from Eric @CarPlayLB when he was around.

Those were Paul white engines out of Pittsburgh pa, he’s near channel 4. At one time they also built the mongoose racing chassis also. They sold the rights to the chassis to a company located near Lockport, ny.