Keep breaking the chain

I have a trail horse mini bike with a Tecumseh ohh60 mildly modified and a tav on it. So the chain is pretty short but I keep snapping links on the chain. It's not breaking at a master link. It's actually snapping a normal part of the chain.... Before this last break I just put a master link in but now if would be 3 if i fixed it again. Before I buy a new chain and it possibly happens again could aanyone tell me what's causing this?

Hello Kirch,

Welcome to the OldMiniBikes !

It sounds as if there is an alignment issue between the two chain sprockets.

Can you post a picture looking straight forward at the rear sprocket, such that the front sprocket can be seen also ?

20151115_154031.jpg
it's hard to get a good pic... With the chain in it looks straight. I gotta take the wheel off to get the chain out its stuck between the sprocket and frame.

Hey again...Thanks for posting a picture.

I guess it's hard to tell, you know, when you look at the picture the two points visible look in line, but due to the closeness of the picture you can't really tell much about the orientation of the sprockets.

The chain can be affected not only by alignment due to spacing, but momentary alignment issues caused by a 'wobble' in the wheel, due to the sprocket being warped, or if one or both rear wheel bearings are going bad.

Do either of these conditions exist ?

Other more experienced folks please chime in. Thanks.

I don't know about anyone else, but I see alignment issues, and is that a frame tube breaking on the left side of the chain?
The shorter that chain is, the more an alignment issue is going to effect the longevity of the chain.
I suggest you sort out the frame tube and alignment issue, then throw on a new chain.

Roger

Last edited:
I don't know about anyone else, but I see alignment issues, and is that a frame tube breaking on the left side of the chain?
The shorter that chain is, the more an alignment issue is going to effect the longevity of the chain.
I suggest you sort out the frame tube and alignment issue, then throw on a new chain.

Roger
I agree. It doesn't look like those two sprockets are lined up perfect. With a short chain running off a jack shaft 1/8" out of alignment is enough to throw the chain. Your chain is tight enough that it's breaking a link instead of just jumping off the sprocket.

Chad

Just noted your sprocket is attached to a hub, so my thoughts out the window, lol
But what you were inferring has merit. What does the sprocket do when the rear wheel is spun by hand? Any wobble both concentric and side to side could contribute to the problem. When the mount bolts or holes on the sprocket get enough play in them via wear, the sprocket can become out of round, making a tight and loose spot throughout the revolution.

also check alignment to the bottom of the wheel sprocket up to the jackshaft. if the axle isnt paralell with the jackshaft youll have trouble. usually when chain breaks on my bikes its because of old rusty stretched chain or just cheap junk. but the root of the problem is probrobly alignment. and make sure youre axle is straight and bearings good with no slop at the wheel or frame

The the chain does slightly get tight and loose when I rotate the rear wheel. I can't get the sprocket anymore centered then that. The bearings are brand new and the wheel is tight no side to side play. I would get a new rear rim and sprocket but cant find one that supports the sprocket on one side and a drum brake on the other. Btw this is an old probably junk chain so that could be a lot of my issue. Would switching to a #41 sprockets and chain help with it breaking? Any negatives to switching to a larger chain?

41 chain is way better the only negative is the sprocket sizes are much larger. for example if you currently have a 72t sprocket a 55t #41 is about the same size. So you have to rework youre jackshaft ratios to correct it.

Switching chains size is doable since I have a #41 socket for the torque converter already. But the hub on these old factory trail horse rims does not have any bolt size to match the new style sprockets. So that will force me to get a new sprocket hub rim and drum since that drum is only a 3 bolt. But on my existing set up I have the sprocket on the left side and brake drum on the right. Does anyone know of a set up I can buy new that's like this?

if you can find a sprocket with the same size center hole as youre current sprocket you can redrill the bolt patern. Just lay youre old sprocket over the new one lining up the center hole clamp them together and drill through.

I think the holes in my sprocketare the issue. SSomeone before me has drilled several holes in this sprocket and none of them line up perfect to make them center on the hub. So I could get a new sprocket and drill new holes if I could figure out how to exactly center the hub on the sprocket. The hole in the center of the sprocket does not matter as long as my 5/8ths axle fits through it which I think all have atleast that large of a hole

Right now with the torque converter I have a #35 12 tooth sprocket and a 60t rear if I switched to a #41 10 tooth and a 48t rear (little more then a half inch diameter larger) my gear ratio should not change much correct? Maybe slightly less torque and slightly more top end?

I would try to get the movement out of that sprocket first. loosten the bolts so theyre snug then you can bump the sprocket to where it needs to be and carfully tighten it down. Wallow out the holes a bit if you have to.

Is there a technique to get it centered? Also I can't slot these holes because some one already drilled holes all over and they would be slots more then holes.