Keyston Deluxe Resto Mod

Hey guys I bought a 1970's Keystone Deluxe a few weeks ago, and now am getting my keester in gear to get er finished up for next summer. The bike was not 100% when I got it, it had a engine mounting plate welded on, and a copper 3horse Briggs bolted to it, as well as relocated foot pegs. So I decided that instead of giving myself the headache of doing a full resto, I am gonna clean it up, paint it up, and with any luck have a clone for it by next summer.

Here is what the bike looked like when I got it...

I sure wish the previous own didn't weld dem damn peiced of flat iron to the bike :doah:

But... he did give me a new twist throttle and grips, as well as a NOS tire and tube :thumbsup:

So far I have grinded :grind: off the peiced of flat iron and the relocated foot peg mounts.

I took the rims apart and painted them with some Duplicolor white wheel paint, I also painted the fender mount and break drum with it too.

I am planning on painted these hubs and the bolts that bolt the rims together a metallic lime green to make the white rims pop.

Since I am anticipating that the honda clone at Princess Auto will come on sale soon, I am going to clean up the 3horse Brggs that came with the bike and probly hook up this tilly that I had kicking around to it (it even has a manifold that bolts to a 3hp Briggs)

Now I just gotta get some paint and primer. I am thinking of painting the frame metallic lime green because I saw a sample of it that looked killer in last months Summit Racing catalog, and the bike was originally green. I will try to get some more updates ASAP. Any suggestions are appreciated. :thumbsup:

That is going to be be a sweet ride , the princess auto 7hp clone is on sale starting tuesday and would make that thing a beast.
Keep the picts coming!!!!

Thanks for all the compliments guys. :thumbsup: Looks like I will be waiting on paint, but in the mean time I will have to make a kickstand for it since it was cut off at some point, and then start on the 3horse. Hopefully will have pics later today.

That is going to be be a sweet ride , the princess auto 7hp clone is on sale starting tuesday and would make that thing a beast.
Keep the picts coming!!!!
Yeah that is tempting, I'll see. If I get that I won't need to fix up the 3hp Briggs.

hey clay when i had a 3hp briggs on my key stone i could only run a small gas tank under the carb, unless you mounting it remotely...
and the biggest ohv engine i could fit was a 4hp honda, if you run a 6.5 hp honda or clone your gonna need a 4hp gx120 gas tank...
just a heads up :thumbsup:

hey clay when i had a 3hp briggs on my key stone i could only run a small gas tank under the carb, unless you mounting it remotely...
and the biggest ohv engine i could fit was a 4hp honda, if you run a 6.5 hp honda or clone your gonna need a 4hp gx120 gas tank...
just a heads up :thumbsup:
Thanks for the info Ivan, I have a nice cylinder shaped gas tank off a 1940's lawn mower that I think would be about right if I put a clone on it. Also on the 3hp I think I will put a tilly on it so I will probly need a remote tank. We will see.

Anyhoo

I was out in the shop the other day and managed to get some work done.

I finished painting the rims, the fender bracket and the drum brake

I disassembled the fork to get the springs and ends off so I can clean them up with a wire wheel because they are chrome underneath the old paint

And I took the old vinyl covering off the seat (no pics of uncovered seat) so it is ready for my mom to recover (she's a pro with a sowing machine). It is going to be black with green stitching to match the bike

I am heading to the city wednesday to pick up the paint and primer, but won't get it painted until saturday afternoon at the earliest because I am having a shop party friday night, and probly won't get it all cleaned up and everyone home until saturday afternoon.

I always thought wire wheels and brillo pads for cleaning chrome was a no-no. I'd try a paint stripper to clean the paint and then evaporust or eletrolosis for cleaning any rust. That and a little polish should get those shiny pretty decent.

Either way, that bike is gonna be smooth like Kieth Stone when its done :thumbsup:

If your making it a cruiser I suggest running 41 chain . .35chain might stretch and snap with the swing arm moving. Unless you run the jack shaft.
I had a question too . How tall are the front coils for the fork?

Looks GREAT! That color combo really should pop when done too! :thumbsup:
I think so, that is the main reason I decided on it, I want it to stand out.

Tonight I spent an hour in the shop and managed to get the fork ends and the springs almost all polished up with my wire wheel but it got so wore down it wouldn't work anymore so tomorrow I will have to pick another one up when I go to the city. Pics will follow. I think that a rat fink decal would look good on the number plate?

Looks great but I still think you should run fenderless :wink: so you can sell me that rear fender and bracket:drool:
Well...once it is all painted up I will assemble the bike and look at it, if it looks better without a rear fender, I will pm you and sell it to you. :thumbsup: I am a hot rod guy so running stuff sans fenders is kinda my thing.

If your making it a cruiser I suggest running 41 chain . .35chain might stretch and snap with the swing arm moving. Unless you run the jack shaft.
I had a question too . How tall are the front coils for the fork?
Yeah I see your point graygoose, if I run a clone I will probly change the sprocket and run 40 chain, but for a 3hp it would be okay. I thing the coils are 10'' I could measure them next the time I'm in the shop for you if you want.

I always thought wire wheels and brillo pads for cleaning chrome was a no-no. I'd try a paint stripper to clean the paint and then evaporust or eletrolosis for cleaning any rust. That and a little polish should get those shiny pretty decent.

Either way, that bike is gonna be smooth like Kieth Stone when its done :thumbsup:
I did too, but I made a thread about it and evil ed said that he uses a brass bristled wire brush on chrome so I figured i would try it out, and it worked but there is some overspray on the inside of the springs that I can't reach so I will probly get some evaporust and dunk em in it with the nuts and bolts from hte bike. Actually I thought I might go a Keystone Light theme and paint it red white and blue and put Keystone Light decals on it, but then I chose the green instead.

Picked up the paint today, but there is a little change in plans. The bike is going to be painted in a darker Duplicolor green metal flake opposed to the lime green I originally planned because the lime green duplicolor that was availible was an ugly neon looking color that I really hated. I also picked up another wire wheel and some evapo-rust and started soaking them tonight so they will be clean for tomorrow. Pics will come tomorrow. :grind: :hammer: :thumbsup:

Looking good and I like the green metal flake idea , flashy paint goes with hotrods!!
I picked up a P-Auto clone it would look awsome on your build lol
Rob.

Got some work done today. :grind: I can't beleive how good evapo-rust works, I was skeptical because it wasn't a solvent so I soaked my parts over night, this morning I took a rag and even old paint wiped right off along with the rust! :thumbsup: I would recomend this stuff to anyone. I also picked a 3M paint removal wheel and stripped my fender down to bare metal, primed it, and that is as far as I got. The last thing I did was prime and paint the front hub, but it still needs another coat and then clear. Here are the pics.

Here are my parts after being cleaned in evapo-rust (some parts are just being cleaned when this was taken)

This is the 3M wheel I was talking about, and under this is the pic of the bare metal fender. Mmmmmmm...............bare metal...

Fender with red primer...

Last, but not least is a picture of the primered front hub (will have painted pic soon to give you a preview of what the green metal flake is like)

:thumbsup:

Should have some paint pics soon. I have one of the wheel hubs completely painted, it looks really dark in the shop but in the sunlight it just sparkles. Overall I am happy with the paint color. I am just finishing cleaning up all my nuts/bolts etc. in evapo-rust, and then will start prepping the frame for paint. :thumbsup: