Kickstand troubles...

ian6199

I purchased a kickstand for my doodlebug but I am having trouble installing it, there is nowhere to connect the spring. Im pretty sure part of my mount is broken and there is supposed to be a small peg to connect the spring to however I'm not entirely sure :confused:

Here is a picture of my problem:
IMG_1232.jpg

If anyone has a similar picture of a fully functional kickstand please share it and help me out! :thumbsup:

Attachments

ian6199

Thanks for your response! Do you have any pictures I can refer to? I don't know exactly how it would have originally looked.

In the pict you posted it should be right where it looks like it broke off!! The one in the pict I posted that is silver was broke off also....I just took some round stock and made a groove in it for the spring to swivel on and cut it off to the correct length and drilled out the broke off post and inserted and welded in the new one! :thumbsup:

Your welcome Ian and good luck!! You want to make the new post just long enough so the spring just clears the kickstand nut and doesnt hang up! :thumbsup:

Looks like an old style DB? Might as well put that kickstand on the correct side while you're at it. Not sure why they chose to put them on the wrong side! Ha! That will be on my list of things to do when I get my old style DB rolling.

Last edited:
Looks like an old style DB? Might as well put that kickstand on the correct side while you're at it. Not sure why they chose to put them on the wrong side! Ha! That will be on my list of things to do when I get my old style DB rolling.
I cut em off and relocate them too !!

I dont have a welder so Its going to be a bit of a challenge
Since you cant weld it just drill through and use a bolt and put a nut on each side of the bracket to make a new spring post! Could cut off the bolt head and cut a groove with a hacksaw and clean it up with a small round file for the spring to swivel on!

I guess a kickstand is OK if you only ride on streets. I live in the country and never touch blacktop. The first time I hit a rock hidden in the grass I came to the most abrupt stop you can imagine. Threw me off like I was a lightweight. Went home and cut it off. Since then I have hit obstructions , but seem to just slide over them. I have found no need for a kickstand. "it ain't easy bein' tardman"

I also spend a lot of time in the woods with mine. I've not hit anything that brought me to a stop on my mini, but I did have that happen on my four wheeler once. I'm lucky I wasn't going as fast as I normally do. I would have been hurt badly. Kickstands aren't for everyone, but I hate not having a kickstand on my bird. I've got one, but I need to get it welded on. I don't have a welder, but my buddy does. I'll get it on there soon.

Tardman, have you thought about welding a taller kickstand higher on the frame? There are some dirt bikes that have kickstands mounted on the rear swing arm. Maybe you could do something like that on your DB? Maybe stick it on the rear downtube of the frame? Just and idea.

I dont know if any of you have tried it but I was thinking of maybe trying DC welding with some connected car batteries since I don't have the money to go out and purchase a welder.

Never tried it. Good welders are expensive. I would suggest the Harbor Freight welder for small jobs like the kickstand. I know they're not the best welders, but they're also not priced like one. I know people that have them, and they would work for something like a kickstand. Luckily, I have friends with nice equipment. Free is the best price. I just have to work around their schedule.

Yeah I was looking at some welders and I saw some cheap ones but I'd rather try to avoid spending more money at this point I just ordered parts haha, a welder for small jobs like this will probably come in handy eventually though.

I have moved a couple of mine to the other side , right under the chain tensioner with the cheap Harbor Freight welder.

Have not did this one yet.