Kill switch question

i was removing the stock kill switch and i accidently pulled the wire out of the black enclosure...it wasn't crimped very well...... i need to hook up my handlebar kill switch to my new motor and i know one side goes to ground and the other one(black with white stripe) goes to what color?....does it hook up to the yellow or black on the motor?.....i could figure it out but i'd have to run the motor and i don't have a very stable engine stand right now

Last edited:
the only one that needs to be plugged in is the black/white one. the green one (on mine at least) is the ground. the other one is for the low oil sensor, there's no need to keep it hooked up.

ignore the crappy wiring in the pic, i've since put the stock DB kill switch back on.

oh

so that small little shiney dohicky attached to the front of the motor . ....i can just remove it and toss it?...what is it?....it has a black wire and a yellow wire going to it

that's part of the low oil sensor, i forgot about that part of it. it has the a wire going to the spot in the front of the case, correct?

yep.

the low oil sensor can cause the engine to shut off if you tilt the bike too far (like while turning). most people disconnect them.

if you ever install a billet rod, the sensor inside the case will have to be removed anyways.

I am also hooking up a clone - there are two wires coming out of the stock kill switch - a black and a red. We want to keep the on/off switch on the clone (someday will replace it with a keyed on/off switch).

So - is this right?

black DB kill switch to engine side of the clone on/off switch. This puts the DB kill switch and the clone on/off switch in parallel, right?

The DB kill switch red wire to the engine chassis? (ground)

The ring terminal on the clone on/off switch to engine chassis also?

So now which ever switch is "closed" the coil goes to ground thus shutting down the engine.

Please let me know if this sounds correct to you.

Also - can we remove the black thingy and the gold colored thingy mounted to the engine? All part of the low oil system right? Cause according to your pic - all that stuff is gone.

Thank you very much for your help.

We should have pics up very soon on my buddies DB clone conversion. so far it is looking very good.

Off topic spoiler.....I am looking for a right hand hydraulic brake to make a front brake setup. The one listed on this website on another post is left hand only. Any ideas??

Thanks much for your help.

wires

i hooked up my kill switch today.....just ignore the wires coming out of the low oil/small sensor bolted to engine....that leaves one wire coming from the coil down the middle of the motor.....just pull the ground wire from stock kill switch and replace it with the handle bar kill switch they both have round circle type connectors....then just connect the 2nd wire coming from the handle bar kill switch to the wire coming from the coil..works fine

I don't know what you mean by "pull the ground wire from stock kill switch and replace it with the handle bar kill switch"

As I mentioned - I want to keep the stock on/off switch working. I am assuming your method does not allow for this.

glad to hear you got yours hooked up and working.

Thanks for your reply.

aa

the kill switch on the side of the motor....it has 2 wires...one goe to ground on the side of the motor and the other goes to the wire headed down the middle of the motor to the coil.....i'm assuming you have this and are trying to replace it with the handlebar kill switch like i did

that is correct. the black/white wire (at least on my stock DB switch) goes to the coil and the other one is the ground. i don't have a red wire running from my kill switch, my ground is green. i just put it onto one of the bolts for the fan shroud.

i'll try to remember to bring my camera home tomorrow and get a picture of how it's currently set up.

here's an updated pic of how my kill switch is set up without the low oil sensor.

green is ground (attached between the case and shroud), black/white goes to the black one which goes to the coil.

tomsprops

OK Here's a News Flash ! The Lil' Black Thingy is just a cover for the Bullet type conectors ! If you just open it up you'll see the conector's ! It's reuseable and it's a cool little cover . Take a second look at it .:thumbsup: