Kohler/Briggs V-twin performance parts:

I happen to have a 34hp Kohler V-twin as of this morning (yay destroyed power equipment!). Engine runs GRRRRRRRREEAAAAAAAATTTTTTT!!!. Likewise, I had an old Briggs Vanguard twin sitting around somewhere that ran.

Anyway, are there actual race parts for any of these engines? I'd be interested in building either one to scream.

Oh yeah... and how do you think they'd do on a minibike? (waiting on a Taco frame from a friend. :smile: ) I'm no stranger to torque, wheelies, & wheelspin. :drool:

Kohler comes with a 4 speed clutch actuated gearbox. It looks, and is mounted almost exactly the way a motorcycle tranny is... it's actually pretty kewl. I'd LOVE to build a mini that could keep up with a sportbike in a straight. :gunsmilie:

So yay, my first minibike. Now to figure out what to do with the engines.

I don't see a price list for anything there. :shrug:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to spending the cash to build a good motor, but if it's going to cost more than an actual Harley or crotch rocket engine in the end, I won't bother.

I'm sure 34hp is enough to get one in trouble with a minibike anyway. :smile:

trinik7597

i don't know about performance parts but there is a kid on youtube that has a vangaurd on a db30 and it seems to work fine :thumbsup:

Midwest Super cub for v twin kohler performance. ARC makes rods and flywheels for the vanny, precision cams for the vanny camshafts, Anywhere garden tractor pulling and lawn mower racing performance is involved youll find parts for the kohler vtwin and vanguard v twin. My vtwin kohler on my pulling tractor makes over 80hp and will turn over 10,000 rpm. All roller valve train and billet parts.

NO!!!! They are not.... But that flywheel is a MUST HAVE on a tractor motor.. Iron wheels are just TOO DAMNED heavy and WILL blow...

A stock Kohler flathead with no mods at all, in perfect shape, will explode the wheel if wound to the max...

If there's any way that engine would last for any appreciable length of time, that would go GREAT on a 2/3 sized Sportster.

Considering that it makes more power & revs higher than my 1200 does, lol.

My 1999 Buell X1 Lightning has a 1203cc Harley Sportster-based engine rated for 101 HP stock; getting a Kohler V-twin to a 80 is a mighty achievement!

That's a nice pull you have going there.

Boomstick yes it would last. Use an aluminum flywheel from Midwest super cub with fins and the stock shrouding and use a good air cleaner and rock on. It's 45cid the way it sits. Midwest has engines making 120+hp. Pry not a long distance engine though. These are small block commands. The big block command is capable of 200hp with all billet parts. A small block command very mild with all bolt on parts and very reliable will make 50+hp and live for a long time. Look Midwest super cub up on you tube. Garden tractor pulling or lawn mower racing.

My 1999 Buell X1 Lightning has a 1203cc Harley Sportster-based engine rated for 101 HP stock; getting a Kohler V-twin to a 80 is a mighty achievement!

That's a nice pull you have going there.
Your Buell probably has that 101hp, but my Sporty sure as hell doesn't. Down low, it has absolutely retarded amounts of grunt, but further out it's a real pig.

Shit, a 250 crotchrocket will beat the balls off a Harley on the highway.

rmm727

The Buell's get different cams than the Sportster. I have a 1200 Sporty and my friend had a 1200 Buell and it was all together a different running bike.

The Buell's get different cams than the Sportster. I have a 1200 Sporty and my friend had a 1200 Buell and it was all together a different running bike.

I wonder how hard that cam swap & other stuff would be to do. I'm entirely willing to sacrifice bottom end torque for a little more juice on the highway.

It's kind of sucky that on an open stretch, a bike as light as a sporty with a 1200 gets it's ass handed to it by an entry-level sportbike every day of the week & twice on the weekend.

(I know this firsthand as well, a 250 Ninja beat the everloving piss out of me, and I was WAILING on my shifter peg like a demon from hell on RT8).