late model 3.5hp flathead help

I bought this old bike and it has a 3.5 craftsman (tecumseh) off of power washer. It didn't want to fire, it would run for a second then die so I figured it was the carb. It has one of those chokeless primer bulb carbs, so I swapped it out with another carb he gave me that has a choke on it. The only thing is it has this weird nipple on the left side that sticks out. It was leaking fuel so I put a piece of fuel line over it and plugged it with a bolt just to see if I could get the engine running.

Sure enough it fired up choked and I rode it a bit but it would hesitate at certain rpms and sometimes It wouldn't engaged the clutch at all. I could hold it wide open but it would just surge, the throttle plate on the carb would just open and close by itself reving up and down without moving the bike. I picked up the back tire and moved the throttle on the carb with my finger and it would engaged the clutch and rev up and spin the tire fast no problem.

Any ideas? Forgive my ignorance I'm very new to these engines.

Some tecumseh carbs have an overflow tube for the float bowl, maybe thats what you plugged off. Maybe the float is stuck. Are you sure the carb is clean, or has it been sitting for a while?