Leaking Main Jet

Ok, just rebuilt my carb with a new rebuild kit. The adjustable main jet drips fuel. I tried different o-rings, stacked two o-rings. Any input on curing this problem?:confused1:

Your kit didn't come with a new rubber seal? They are supposed to have a little washer to protect the rubber from the spring that keeps it in place too.. It should have that, but if you need that rubber gasket thing, I've used like a bicycle inner tube to make them from in a pinch and that always seams to work good.. :thumbsup: I like to poke a small hole for the screw first.. Then cut it down to the right size with side cutters or scissors or something..

Is it the main jet on the bottom of the carb? If so, is the fuel leaking around the fuel bowl bolt or actually coming out of the adjustment needle?

Coming out of the adjustment needle, and it has a new o-ring.
HM!!! yeah that is a weird one.. if it's the correct seal they sent you for the thing, and it has that little brass washer to sandwich the seal in and keep the spring from chewing it up... It should be good.. There are a couple different ones. If you got them backwards and the small one for the idle screw, is in the bottom, that would cause you problems too... I'd say maybe take it all apart and make sure everything is nice and clean and fitting together right..

Unscrew the needle out. There should be a spring, washer, then o-ring seal. Make sure there isn't anything caught up inside the fuel bowl nut where the needle screws into. Install the needle and screw it in all the way but not too tight. That should seat the o-ring, then back out around 1 turn for starters.

I am having the exact same problem after rebuilding the carburetor on my H35 engine. Gas drips past the o-ring on the main needle. I am wondering if Minimotor ever resolved the problem on his carb?

Anyone have any other suggestions? I have tried all the recommendations in this thread. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If it is leaking past the JET ITSELF slowly, it will run down by gravity to the lowest point (head of the screw) before it drips OFF from the carb... It may be your jet simply is not tight enough..

DO NOT OVER tighten it, because THEY WILL break or even twist out of shape.. it just needs to be SNUG.. But finger tight won't do it at all..

I also like to put the bowl bottom down on anything, use the blunt end of a screwdriver handle, and ever so gently drive it into the bowl, rite at the hole.. JUST a gentle tap, enough to mushroom the bottom of the bowl back out.. Only a millimeter or two, but enough to know you have pushed the bottom out some, so when you put the bowl back on... The bowl gasket is pinched tight and sealed good, millimeters before the bowl hits the bottom of the carb..

THAT WAY you not only know you're pinching the bowl gasket tight, but the gasket between the jet and bowl, ALSO has pressure on it BEFORE tightening it down at all..
If you guys are BOTH having this same problem, with a new rebuild kit, and are both certain it IS INFACT, the needle itself leaking...

I would venture to say, it is due to shit just being made cheaply anymore.. and the rubber O-ring and the screw are not the rite sizes to seal.. I/E hole in the O-ring is larger than it should be..
If it is all clean, and all assembled rite, IT CAN NOT leak...

If it is a BRAN NEW kit doing it to you, and it IS DOING THE IMPOSSIBLE... The only explanation would be piss pourly built O-ring..

take the adjustment needle out with spring and washer.. allow all the gas to drain so it' all dry, then dab some break fluid on the O-ring... Then put it back together and let it sit overnight before adding any gas..

and see what happens...

OR make a dime sized piece of inner tube, stab your adjustment needle through it.. then trim around the needle till the O-ring is the correct O/D size.. And make your own.. :laugh:

I had the same problem with some cheap rebuild kits I bought from a site, Try to find an older NOS OEM kit off ebay or scour the www. I bought a bunch and have them tucked away. NOS Tecumseh parts are getting harder to come by. The new branded OEM kits are not so good either.

Depending on the carburetor some have a red fiber washer that goes between the main jet and the bowl and some of them have fiber washers one each side of the bowl for the main jet to go through to stop fuel from escaping like a walbro carb does.

Some of those junk kits forget to include that all important fiber washers. I put in 2 fiber washers because one will seal between the bowl and the main jet well and the other one to seal between the jet and the outside of the bowl. I imagine the fuel is running down the exposed main jet threads inside the bowl and running straight down it to the ouside. Try that... :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input.

After removing the main needle for a 4th time, I think I found a clue. I think the problem may be cheap parts. I noticed that the main jet needle is threaded all the way down to the screw head. On the original main needle, it was only partially threaded. I think the o-ring cannot fully seal because the surface of the needle is threaded. Whereas the o-ring on the old needle jet sat flush against the needle.

Anyone else concur?