Lil Indian 5000

Here is a pic of me on the Lil Indian in 1968.

Here is the same bike 40 years later.

The bike was later sold and I was able to get it back several years ago. I was disapointed with what they did to it but gratefull they kept it in the dry all those years. The engine is a Kohler CS-4 that is in reality a rebadged Yamaha built in Japan. I originally repowered it with a CS-6 on it but later needed that engine on a lawnmower.

The original 5hp B&S and a NOS tire to go on the rear. Later. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Didn't we all look sharp in the 60s? Here's a photo of me holding onto my dog & my Lil Indian in '67 or '68, followed by another of the nearly-identical bike I found on craigslist last winter. Your bike is a much fancier model. I've never seen one like yours before.

Tom,

If I remember right? Lil Indian had the 300 through 500 models in the late 1960's. They along with the 5000 and 6000 Lil Indian didn't have folding handlebars. This was approximately 1967-68 time period. I remember in 1968 they had two swing-arm models, the 5000 and 6000. The 5000 had a jackshaft and the 6000 had the two-speed clutch set-up. The 5000 was painted blue and the 6000 was painted red in the factory assembled models. In 1969, most of the Lil Indians I remember had a different larger frame design and came with folding handlebars and larger clutch covers. The model designation changed in 1969 also. The 300 model changed to the 3500 model. The 500 model changed to the 5500 model, etc. Don't know anything anout Lil Indian after 1969 as dad started selling Rupp after that. Thanks!!!

Well after several years and a job change, I'm going to try to get this project back off the ground soon. Still haven't found the correct brake pucks for the original rear brake. I think it's a Hurst Airheart unit and it's different from anything I've found recently. Thanks!!!

Mean Dean

LIL Indian

Hi Cashman, I might have a set of pucks left. They were all Lil Indian. They had them made by a company in Ohio I think. I have Made Seats too with LIL Indian logo silk screened on the rear just like the originals. These are top notch materials with real marine grade padded naugahyde to last years.

Last edited:
Great on the pucks! I'll have to find mine and get a measurment on them. They are a little larger in diameter than the current ones I've found. The seat while it has a tear on one corner, is original, but didn't have a logo on it. I've also got a couple of original tail lights that came in the light kit, but I don't have a headlight. Also the original clutch cover was damaged. I'll be in touch about the pucks. Thanks!!!

I'm going to see if I can get the original 5hp Briggs to going. The blower housing was bashed in, but I've got a near period correct NOS housing that I think will work. Going to need some engine decals and some B&S Ivory White paint if they still make it? Also might change it over to a Magnatron ignition. Thanks!!!

My dad on the Lil Indian back in the day.

This is the headlight that I've been trying to locate.

This wasn't the first mini that I had. Dad always kept a Whizzer running and I kinda grew up on those. He had a couple of them. Both were the WZ frame about 1947-48 models. The first mini that I had was I think a Simplex with a Clinton 2 cycle.

Last edited:
This the original 5hp Briggs.

First order of business is to get this old girl running. And it hasn't been run since 1974? It's got compression but no spark. It had a new carb put on it back then, and hopefully it can be salvaged. The gas tank is rusted to the point that it's going to have to be replaced.

A 1974 vintage clutch. Can't find a name on it anywhere. Also has the clutch guard mounts.

A NOS tire and wheel that I found several years ago at a lawnmower dealers.

The guy was going to throw it away! It was probably my first thought of actually restoring the Lil Indian when I saw this wheel. My son was riding it then and the rear tire was getting bald. I'm glad I was able to save and find some of this stuff over the years. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Great story,Iv'e got my old bike too.Like the old pics and I'm glad you are going to redo the bike.Good luck with the project,OldMiniBikes wil give you alot of help with it.:thumbsup:Ray

I've got some more old pics, just got to find them. I've got one of my Grandmother riding a Rupp Roadster back in the early 1970's somewhere?