Lil Indian Make Over

JBible

Well I picked up an unknown mini bike 3 weeks ago to get a set of wheels for my Bonanza project. I figured I would ask to see what is was just in case it was ultra rare or something. Well it turned out to be a Lil Indian. My son Ownen claimed it before I could get it out of the truck. :doah:

I tore it down and sent the frame to be sand blasted. I purchased new wheel bearings, steering bushings, tubes and tires, throttle and cable and brake handle and cable, new steel tube for foot pegs and foot peg covers. Owen picked out the color.

As you can see it is coming right along. I had help from several members to get the brake situated.

I welded on a kick stand tonight and painted the frame. I need to make a seat and install the engine again. I also purchased new fenders. Hopefully they will be on this week. If anyone knows what year this is from feel free to chime in. I didn't find a serial number on it any where.

Very cool J! I'm glad to see you get it posted up finally. I got to meet Glenn yesterday and he was super cool and very happy that he could help us out with the brake part. I myself bought an original LiL Indian from a guy that really didn't want to let it go but I think he knew that I really wanted it. I think you are going to find that they are hard to get out of your head once you get going. I rode mine for a couple hours over the course of the last couple days. Anyway, I'll be starting a new thread soon about LiL Indians. You've definitely played a part in getting me excited about them and helped me meet another member who has been really fun to talk to. If you ever get the chance, you should definitely plan a vacation for the mini bike reunion here in PA. It'll give you and your boy memories for a life time!

JBible

Here are a few more pictures of my build.

I know the kick stand is on the side of the frame instead of under like I would want it, however the bike is so close to the ground it wasn't possible to put it under the frame. It looks good when it is sitting on the stand now.

I still need to cut the cable. I tried to install it in the top hole but the spring in the bottom home of the bracket didn't have enough leverage. The brake would actuate but not release properly so I switched them around.

JBible

I made a new seat for the Lil Indian today. Here are a few pictures.

This seat didn't cost me anything as I already had all the materials or was given the materials I used. If I had made this seat it would have cost about $17. There is 4 layers of 8 lb carpet padding and 2 layers of padding. Time to make this seat about 2 hours including an hour for the glue to dry. I used 1/2 in plywood for the base. Painted it with white since I had that and didn't have any primer. Then I painted it body color to match the mini. I used 4 5/16 threaded inserts in the base. I think the original seat only uses 2 mounting points but I don't feel comfortable with just 2 so I drilled out 2 additional holes in the front support. The seat is comfortable, not to hard and does a good job of absorbing vibration.

JBible

Where were you 3 weeks ago?! Actually until you mentioned it I didn't know the forks weren't supposed to be that way. They are identical on both sides and the handle bars are straight when sitting on the bike.
I put fenders on it that I just got from OldMiniBikes Warehouse and I really don't like them. Here is a picture.

If the forks aren't supposed to have a slight bend in them than someone hit the front straight on. :no:
If they need to be taken off and straightened I will do it.

I have to say for a 79cc motor on this little mini it sure does scoot.:scooter: I took it down a main road today in the bike lane and was averaging right around 30 mph. That may not sound great but you have to realize I'm 6'5" and weigh 255 lbs. I look like a bear on a tricycle.

Nice ride my friend. I agree with Ajax Mini--once you are bitten by the Little Indian bug you can't have just one!You did a nice job on the bike--congrats!:thumbsup:

JBible

Thanks boatguy. This has been the fastest build yet. I like how just about everything turned out and my kids love it. I know I look like a bear on a trike riding it but it is a blast.

Buckeye I don't know what to do with the fenders yet. They look to me to sit to high above the tires. Are there any better options? If the mounts were a little lower these fenders might be ok.

Mmisterbungl how far off are the front forks from what you can see in the picture?

Thanks boatguy. This has been the fastest build yet. I like how just about everything turned out and my kids love it. I know I look like a bear on a trike riding it but it is a blast.

Buckeye I don't know what to do with the fenders yet. They look to me to sit to high above the tires. Are there any better options? If the mounts were a little lower these fenders might be ok.

Mmisterbungl how far off are the front forks from what you can see in the picture?
It's coming along nice!

As for the forks, they should be concentric and parallel with the section between the triple trees. I know if I had missed it, I'd have them off and straightened. Looks like they are pushed back quite a bit. Maybe off by an inch or so?

The front fender will look better once the forks are straightened out. The back looks fine. They appear to be sitting about how they should be.

The Lil Indian wins a sponsors choice award at our local car show last night. There were 115 vehicles entered into the show which raises money for the diabities foundation. It is a wicked fun car show right in the middle of my neighborhood. The neighbors close off their street and people from all over come for a good time. My son Owen is to small to ride the Indian so his bigger brother put it in the car show. Even with bent forks it still takes a trophy and $25 prize.

Well I picked up an unknown mini bike 3 weeks ago to get a set of wheels for my Bonanza project. I figured I would ask to see what is was just in case it was ultra rare or something. Well it turned out to be a Lil Indian. My son Ownen claimed it before I could get it out of the truck. :doah:

I tore it down and sent the frame to be sand blasted. I purchased new wheel bearings, steering bushings, tubes and tires, throttle and cable and brake handle and cable, new steel tube for foot pegs and foot peg covers. Owen picked out the color.

As you can see it is coming right along. I had help from several members to get the brake situated.

I welded on a kick stand tonight and painted the frame. I need to make a seat and install the engine again. I also purchased new fenders. Hopefully they will be on this week. If anyone knows what year this is from feel free to chime in. I didn't find a serial number on it any where.
Hey I just purchased a l'll Indain which brake set up is that ,,

It's not aftermarket. It's the correct late model brake for LiL Indians. I think he was in need when Glenn had the NOS outer halves.
Yes, this is the original brake that came on the mini back in 1967. Even though this is an old thread I want to thank everyone that helped me track down the parts to this brake setup. My son rides this mini bike all the time and cruises around at a constant speed of 30 mph. He wouldn't be able to do that if the brakes didn't work right.