Looking at another roller and engine

You all said this was going to happen. :001_tt2:

Here is the serial # off the roller, how do I decode..?

serial#.jpg

And here is a motor that is being sold with it. Seller says it is a Tecumseh 3.5hp. Is it desirable...?

motorforsale1.jpg
motorforsale2.jpg

...Just learning, so thanks for the help!!! :thumbsup:

Phil

capguncowboy

The engine looks like a Sears engine made by Tecumseh -- Model will start with 143 if it is. There is a cross reference list where it will tell you what the Tecumseh model and sub-code are. This will make finding parts a little easier if you need to rebuild it or replace a part or two.

As for the Rupp tag, I am feeling a bit lazy and don't want to research anything :laugh: However, there is a sight that breaks it down for you. I just can't remember what it was off the top of my head

capguncowboy

Sorry, we can't give values here. Check around on Ebay to get an idea of what they go for -- the value is in the eye of the beholder -- or buyer for that matter.

All I know about the motor is that it is not frozen. No compression #s. What value would you place on it?

Phil
Those Craftsman Tecumseh's are very nice. Every vintage one I've picked up has held up so well to the ravages of time. Not allowed to give values here but if you minibike it up the way I just showed you I'd bet you'd be surprised how much someone would be willing to pay. And all it takes is some paint and a decal and an afternoon.

I ended up passing on the bike and engine above. It is still available and it is listed in RI Craigs. She is asking $150 for the roller and $75 for the engine.

I ended up just buying this for $350. It is supposedly only missing the exhaust (he has the rear fender and other brake lever/perch):

rupp.jpg

I pick it up next weekend.

Is there a cure for this sickness?????????

Phil

Last edited:
Is there a cure for this sickness?????????
Phil
The answer is yes. The cure is "more bikes"! Once you've had enough, you'll quit buying them or sell everything all together to others with the sickness. However, I haven't seen anyone actually cured yet so I can't verify that it works. :laugh:

capguncowboy

The answer is yes. The cure is "more bikes"! Once you've had enough, you'll quit buying them or sell everything all together to others with the sickness. However, I haven't seen anyone actually cured yet so I can't verify that it works. :laugh:
Part of me thinks cold turkey might be the cure. That, and hookers and blow -- would probably be a cheaper addiction at least.

Well I already have a classic car addiction, I may as well pick up another obsession! :eek:ut:

Here's the Rupp Enduro. Not sure of the specific year, but it is fairly complete!

enduro1.jpg
enduro2.jpg
enduro3.jpg
enduro4.jpg
enduro5.jpg

I pick it up next Saturday.

Phil

capguncowboy

markus

engine is much newer than the bike, but thats a good engine choice for that bike!!!! Bike itself overall looks like something workable. mostly there, typical little things like grips and tires are wrong, that just means they were using it.

I would roll with that engine, unless you have to be a stickler for "period correct". One thing that will differ on it compared to what came on it that you need is the "header" for the exhaust. The current engine you have will not have NPT threads into the exhaust port for the 1/2" screw in fitting that they used on those bikes. For your application though that not really an issue as in 1971 Rupp made a flange "header" for the black widow which can be used and workable with the stock exhaust system. Or your can adapt a Blackwidow straight pipe exhaust onto a 1970 by adding a mount tab under the seat too. (its a better way as the 1970 exhuast was not in a good location far as rideability but it looked cool :laugh:

good thing about any of that is Jim kise is repopping both and used exhaust are usually available as well since there were alot of these bikes made.

blackwidowmotorsports.com is the site to check out for exhasusts, parts breakdowns, and just about any Rupp part that is currently being reproed or availalbe.

here is the difference in the "headers" left is the standard thread in they used on enduro's and roadsters on the right is the one they used on the Blackwidow which was a "high performance" version they only sold in 1971

This was a 1970 roadster (same as your enduro only with the lighting package) That I test fit a blackwidow carb, pipe, etc. when I was building it, not a great shot of the exhaust but it will work fine on the 1970 frame.

same bike as above one with the stock exhaust installed, that incidentally does have the blackwidow fange mount header as the thread for the other style on this block was buggered up.

Thanks a lot for the info!! That is very helpful.

So if I understand you correctly, looking at the BW site for the exhaust, if I want the Blackwidow style exhaust (cheaper and better placement under the bike) it looks like I need:

manifold:
#17427 B/W EXHAUST MANIFOLD

gasket:
#15593 EXHAUST MANIFOLD GASKET, NOS, 70-75

pipe:
#17531 B/W EXHAUST PIPE

bracket:
#17532 B/W EXHAUST PIPE BRACKET

If I want the stock setup, I need:

The manifold flange and gasket above, plus the stock style muffler exhaust:

#15468 CHROME MUFFLER ASSEMBLY 1970 ROADSTER & ENDURO

...Do I have this right?

Phil

markus

Thanks a lot for the info!! That is very helpful.

So if I understand you correctly, looking at the BW site for the exhaust, if I want the Blackwidow style exhaust (cheaper and better placement under the bike) it looks like I need:

manifold:
#17427 B/W EXHAUST MANIFOLD

gasket:
#15593 EXHAUST MANIFOLD GASKET, NOS, 70-75

pipe:
#17531 B/W EXHAUST PIPE

bracket:
#17532 B/W EXHAUST PIPE BRACKET

If I want the stock setup, I need:

The manifold flange and gasket above, plus the stock style muffler exhaust:

#15468 CHROME MUFFLER ASSEMBLY 1970 ROADSTER & ENDURO

...Do I have this right?

Phil
correct, If you go the 1971-up exhaust route peek under the seat frame of the bent up/beat up bike you already bought to see where the tab is tacked on, I sold all my Rupps off so I cant remember but I think its just a little tab welded off the tube that the upper shock bolts go into, will just have to make a mount point for the bracket like that as the 1970 wont have that under the seat.

Thanks, I am going to go the '71 and up route. Like you said, the '70 muffler setup looks cool (and expensive), but the other looks more practical (and 1/2 the price).

Just to confirm, my engine pictured above is an HS50, correct?

Phil

markus

Thanks, I am going to go the '71 and up route. Like you said, the '70 muffler setup looks cool (and expensive), but the other looks more practical (and 1/2 the price).

Just to confirm, my engine pictured above is an HS50, correct?

Phil
yes, its a late model and should be electronic ignition, If you can weld I would wait to ordre anything till you take posesion it looks like there may be sonething there on the exhaust port already, if its the remains of a header and the flange is still there you can use that to weld a chunk of tubing to to make the header and save some cheese :thumbsup: