Looking For Clutch or Ideas ?

Hi, Im working on a mini bike project and I found a nice 4 HP B&S engine from a Sears edger. The only problem is the crankshaft end goes from 5/8 to 7/8 inch in diameter. The 5/8 outer section is only 3/4 of an inch long. Not enough to mount a clutch assy and I have not been able to find a clutch assy with a 7/8 bore. Any ideas out there? Thanks

You might think about swapping the shaft or go pully and belt to a jackshaft with clutch on it.

It's just as easy to find another engine if you don't know how to swap shafts.

Oldsalt

mill an adapter that bolts over the shaft to make it an 1inch bore easier said then done tho
Jesse
In another thread you sugested that a contributor "learn how to spell" [sic]. In this thread you ended your sentence with a preposition. I point this out only because of your stated fondness for correct spelling and proper grammer.

N-gin

HA! I have a sears edger I found in the trash that had a belt drive on it and I ran into the same problem. As soon as I took that belt pulley off I found that it had two different sizes on the crank:doah:. Thats why I'm waiting for this GX160 to come my way:deal:
You could sleeve it. Or find a bushing that will slide over the smaller part of the crank. Pilot bushings work good.

OldMan

The low tech solution, if the 7/8" shaft is long enough to accept a clutch: Start the engine and use a file to reduce the shaft diameter by 1/8" inch, so a 3/4" clutch will fit. Go slow, and measure often. You would need to file the key way a bit deeper as well, but do that with the engine stopped!!! :biggrin:

Jesse
In another thread you sugested that a contributor "learn how to spell" [sic]. In this thread you ended your sentence with a preposition. I point this out only because of your stated fondness for correct spelling and proper grammer.
I love when people spell grammar wrong. :)

Can I make a suggestion?

I had one of these tapered-shaft edger engines laying around for years...

I cut the sheaves off the original pulley, then turned the remaining steel collar down to one inch OD...

The clutch mounted with four set screws I drilled, equidistant around the collar, instead of a keyway/key set up...

Worked fine...

Any nearby lathe will work to turn down the collar...

Most brands of centrifugal clutches (I like Hilliard) also have enough material around the 5/8" bore to allow taper-boring to 7/8" also...

Either way, usually depending upon what I have on hand to modify...

The taper shaft engines go for cheap at swaps and fleas because most people don't want the hassle of modifying a clutch or sheave...

I'm the epitome of cheap...bring 'em on...

Jesse 8931...

I'm gonna get you one of these for Xmas...you'll have hours and hours of fun making minibike stuff...it taper-bores on the z-axis of the tool holder or the tailstock (Morse #2 and #3) tool holder...

If you're at least 16, you can apply for machinist apprenticeship programs that give high school credits, and pay fairly well too...

Last edited:
Jesse 8931...

I'm gonna get you one of these for Xmas...you'll have hours and hours of fun making minibike stuff...it taper-bores on the z-axis of the tool holder or the tailstock (Morse #2 and #3) tool holder...

If you're at least 16, you can apply for machinist apprenticeship programs that give high school credits, and pay fairly well too...
haha ok ill take one lol iam about to turn 18

Yellowhand , if its not to much bother can you get me the same present that your getting for jesse? I have a pretty complete shop welding wise, ( mig tig gas ect) but am lacking abit for machine equip. if you do decide to get me that for christmas, i will forever refer to you as santa. deal? LOL take care all...jonnybiker