Looking to sell. Hoping the experts can help...

I have a '50s Valmobile suitcase scooter I am hesitantly thinking about parting with. These were designed in France and built in Japan as and affordable way to travel with transportation - no pun intended. This particular one spent most of it's life aboard a commercial aircraft and as such still bears the tail numbers of the plane. It is in excellent, original condition. It's in dire need of a head-to-toe cleaning, but even the seat is totally intact with no rips or tears. It was last running about a year ago and I have no reason to believe it will take more than a few kicks to start now with some fresh gas. My dilemma is that I have no idea what it would be worth, I don't know where to even price it if I put it on the dreaded evil-bay and I just don't want to lose my shirt if in fact it is valuable. I have been referred to this site by three different independent people. I'm hoping someone might be able to offer some insight.

Sincerely,
Matt

There's no such thing as an "expert" on minibike values. On any given day you might find two of the same bike for sale some place, in the same basic condition, and one seller asks $100 and one seller asks $1000. Your best bet is to go on ebay or another auction site and see what minibikes in general are selling for and list yours for sale at a price you can live with.

And rest assured that you aren't missing some golden opportunity to get rich off of it. No matter what they say on Auction Hunters or Pawn Stars, there really aren't many "collectors" willing to spend "big bucks" in this hobby.

For top dollar and many folks seeing your sale EBay will be the most visible but......

Keep your day job cause values are only as good as a person looking for the item.

Unless there's a valuable French painting inside your suitcase it only worth what someone will pay!

I do appreciate that values are what people are willing to pay. I've done cars for years, and am heavily into old garden tractors at the moment. Mini bike's I admittedly have no clue. Mechanically, I can make them run no problem, but market value on an odd ball like this I don't even know where to begin. My fear is that I list a Valmobile with a $100 opening bid which in reality is worth $1000. How many people keyword search 'Valmobile'? I'm trying to do my homework first before I list something I have no clue about. And I can appreciate forums shying away from offering values to deter newbies (like myself) from abusing their intent. In this case though, I'm was just hoping someone who may have some knowledge on these could advise me a bit.

just start it at 100.00 with a 1000.00 reserve and see what happens :shrug:

might just give you an idea on what people are willing to pay

Understandable.... Here's the thing..... If anyone on here tells you it's worth $xxx.xx, they're full of shit unless they offer to buy it for that price at the same time.

Here ya go in the interest of reference, this one was listed for sale here, price was dropped several times, and by the end of the thread, no telling whether it ever sold or not.... "It's worth what someone will pay" isn't what anybody ever wants to hear, but it happens to be the only real answer to the question.... There ain't no blue book on old school minibikes.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/complete-mini-bikes/66181-valmobile-folding-scooter-maryland.html

Thanks SC!!! See, thats what I was kind of looking for. Pretty much confirms that I'm not in possession of the holy grail, but because mine is complete and I'm sure will clean up very well I might be able to aim for $800-1000 range to at least see what happens. I'm still undecided if I even want to get rid of it. It's a great converstion piece, but it just sits around.

45t

Thanks SC!!! See, thats what I was kind of looking for. Pretty much confirms that I'm not in possession of the holy grail, but because mine is complete and I'm sure will clean up very well I might be able to aim for $800-1000 range to at least see what happens. I'm still undecided if I even want to get rid of it. It's a great converstion piece, but it just sits around.
I'd say keep it. If you are on the fence about selling it than maybe stick with your gut on this one and keep it. It sounds like regret in getting rid of it may follow the sale of it.

I've spent to many years trying to find vehicles that I should have never sold.

toomanytoys

That bike is one of those things thats really cool, but I wouldn't pay 50 bucks for it because its just impractical. How long would it sit in the corner till I got tired of looking at it.

That bike is one of those things thats really cool, but I wouldn't pay 50 bucks for it because its just impractical. How long would it sit in the corner till I got tired of looking at it.
Well, I agree its impractical for someone looking to buy it as a daily mode of transportation. But I'd venture to guess that a collector somewhere would be the person interested in buying something like this. I have 19 restored impractical garden tractors and I call them a collection.

markus

If you sold it would you be willing to ship it....to FL? OR do you come down for the Flywheelers vintage tractor shows that are coming up?

?

The one in the ebay link will not sell for 1000.00. Thats what you call a fishing listing. hook and reel

I have learned one thing in this hobby. If you find them you buy low,ride,maintain and hold onto them. Most have been scraped. Maybe clean a little, but keep original. If you restore you will not make your money back 90% of the time.

Finding all original in survior condition is when they might have a value depending on your original investment.

JM2C

My two cents worth. Everything that I'm involved in hasn't been selling with any regularity or predictable pricing. I know there is money out there but finding it is not easy. If there isn't any reason to sell now, you might wait for spring and see if things change.

Matt, funny running into you here. I thought your user name looked familiar. Bring that Valmobile to WI and I'll trade you a Simplicity tractor for it. :laugh:

By the way, nice 65

Last edited: