making engines electric start?

so ive seen a couple of small engines that were electric start, most of them Tecumseh's, is there a way to do that without the flywheel with teeth on it?
I think I remember someone doing it with a starter cup:shrug:

Kinda but no , a starter mounted to the motor is going to need a starter ring . Kart and drag motors use remote starters the fit on a nut on the flywheel where the cup is . At your age you don't need one just use a rope . When you get Phil's age then you can consider it LOL . :thumbsup:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Kinda but no , a starter mounted to the motor is going to need a starter ring . Kart and drag motors use remote starters the fit on a nut on the flywheel where the cup is . At your age you don't need one just use a rope . When you get Phil's age then you can consider it LOL . :thumbsup:
:lol::lol::lol:

There are what is known as a genestart too, it's just a DC electric motor belted to usually the flywheel side of the motor.. Turn the juice on to the motor it works as a starter.. Let off the starter it becomes a DC generator to charge the battery.. Usually on bigger stuff, the old kohlers, most two stroke golf karts

thanks dave.... :laugh:

delray

here is a electric start on a older small block tecumseh that is mounted on the front of the flywheel(aluminum). you could also convert the 120v over to 12v by finding a 12v motor that would swap out the 120v. if you are thinking of going with a 12v system? you might be better off with a front mount dc starter, because i believe most if not all lighted coil tecumseh engines come with a starter flywheel(aluminum) or can be converted over by press fitting a starter ring gear on a cast iron flywheel. for example a hs40 or a hs50 in the later 70's and 80's. is there something your trying to build?

JustEnough

I have been spending time on old Honda ATC's, three wheelers, and the electric start models are 40 pounds heavier than the pull start only models. From that , I decided that I really don't need electric start. Although it is less on a minibike, the weight of the starter and battery is just too much of a compromise. A compression release and a valve adjustment, to make the engine easier to start, seems more worthwhile.

delray

buckeye
Delray, he has a five hp briggs.
are sure? i thought he was talking about tecumseh's.......:shrug: so i guess he was looking to see if briggs made a flywheel mount starter? i believe i have seen some real old big blocks,for example 6,7,8's on snowblowers. but nothing on a 5hp. only the front mount starter like i have on my bike......:shrug:

Last edited:

65ShelbyClone

There are what is known as a genestart too, it's just a DC electric motor belted to usually the flywheel side of the motor.. Turn the juice on to the motor it works as a starter.. Let off the starter it becomes a DC generator to charge the battery.. Usually on bigger stuff, the old kohlers, most two stroke golf karts
I had a '60s Cushman Truckster with a Kohler K301 that used that kind of starter arrangement. It sucked. :laugh: Aside from that, the generator was an all-iron, full automotive size one that had to have weighed almost as much as a 5hp Briggs.

There are smaller ones, though. I think they're used mainly on "instant start" golf cart engines and similar setups. John Deer Gators are another, but don't expect to get anything cheaply for a Gator.

Yea it seems like it would be easier to tune lol no pulling required
Yep! I have a high compression 5HP Briggs that I had to tune. After ten pulls, I needed a break and a drink of ice water. Finally, it starts after two pulls, but God help you, if you start it on the compression stroke! It WILL rip the cord out of your fingers, in a painful, and rapid motion.