Manco Thunderbird, 6.5 hp Predator, many new parts, $450

Manco Thunderbird with 6.5hp Predator engine. New clutch, new clutch brake, new chain, new seat bottom and recent tires. Ready to go, needs nothing. Fast.
$450
call or text 248-895-1444

Danford1

KMR

I realize this is an old thread, but can you give me the info on the sprocket. I put on a Predator today with the original sprocket. Its a wheelie machine. Not safe for my 11 year old. Looking to replace the sprocket to keep the front wheel down. Thanks

I realize this is an old thread, but can you give me the info on the sprocket. I put on a Predator today with the original sprocket. Its a wheelie machine. Not safe for my 11 year old. Looking to replace the sprocket to keep the front wheel down. Thanks
Wow, I can't remember exactly but I think it was a 60 tooth instead of the 84 tooth that was on it. That reduced the ratio from 7:1 to 5:1 BUT it also increased the top speed a lot. In my opinion, the 6.5 hp is way to much for this minibike. The reason being is where the seat is in relation to the rear axle. Your body weight is right over the axle and wheelies are to common. If the rear axle were back a few inches or if the seat was forward a few inches, it wouldn't wheelie as easily. Even with a 5:1 ratio it would still wheelie if a lot of throttle was given to quick.
I had another Thunderbird with big rear sprocket and I had to put a stock 4 hp Briggs on it to make it ride-able without a lot of wheelies. The 6.5 hp just had too much torque for the stock set up. A 3hp would probably be better for a kid in my opinion.
Good Luck.
Danford1

KMR

Well its done now. The 3.5 Tecumseh i had on it was a dog. I replaced the carb and its take off was still almost as if I had to push it to get going. I now I’m at the other end the spectrum. So I willgivebthe spocket a try. It seems as if the Thunderbird had one if the biggest gear ratios to start. The 72 tooth is huge.