Manco Thunderbird not a stock build

Hi. I'm piecing together a custom build that started out as a Manco Thunderbird. It will be unrecognizable when I'm finished.

I would like to post pictures in this message box but I'm not able to. I uploaded 5 pics to my attachment but they do not do justice.

I paid my $25 to upload more pics and get less advertisements but it has not gone into effect yet.

Jon

Last edited:
Cool idea, just make sure to stiffen up around the engine plate. I will be be working on mine next week on will have some pictures then.

Thanks. I'll have to reinforce the engine plate and that will be a good time to add the forward mounted foot pegs. I was thinking about installing a blown Hemi in my Thunderbird but I don't feel like getting my calves burned. Kinda like a Boss Hogg motorcycle...remember those?

I have a tav2 and a 60 sprocket rear plate. I am considering a 2 speed jackshaft (with a tall suicide 8-ball gear stick) if I can figure out what that is...All my custom choppers used to have suicide gear shift controls.

Last edited:

Distractions:

1. A harbor freight tube or pipe bender does not bend square 1 inch tubes without kinking them.

2. I get distracted and now have a 50 pound springer front end for my Thunderbird.

3. I buy a stock exhaust then see a Supertrapp, I have to have, for
$200.

4. I have a billet flywheel, so now I need to by a billet connecting arm and piston.

Last edited:
fronnt end

You bet. I have the neck and I'm getting ready to weld it on. I'm keeping the tiny thunderbird neck attached. I cut and heated it yesterday and have a 45 degree rake. I'll weld my springer neck to it and box it in secure when I fill in the cuts.

Haven't decided what size wheels to go with yet or how to attach disc brakes. It;s going to remain a soft tail but rather than have the seat supported with two shocks, as was stock, I'm going to use a mono shock from a suzuki to pivot and support the rear wheel legs.

Got a solo seat I like pictured.

I don't know if I'll do the upgrades to my motor myself or get a mechanic to do it. I plan on getting a billet crank shaft (pricey!), heavier springs. Valves with higher lifts, and a billet connecting rod and piston (pricey as well!).

The super trap exhaust is tunable by adding or subtracting plates. Super- trapps I have used in the past on street rods always sound great.

I haven't used my wire welder in several years. I hope the coiled wire is still good.

Yesterday I ran across a motorized paraglider on ebay. Wow that looks fun....MUST - NOT - CHANGE - HOBBIES - BEFORE - THUNDERBIRD - IS COMPLETE! :hammer::doah:

manco thunderbird now a chopper

Finally...its close to being done. I will point out Manco parts when I'm at my desktop puter.

I wanted to post pics but i don't see anyway to do. I'm sure I'll catch.

20170505_161857.jpg 20170505_162903.jpg 20170505_161822.jpg 20170505_161906.jpg 20170505_162903.jpg 20170505_164514.jpg 20170505_161857.jpg

Last edited:
Finally...its close to being done. I will point out Manco parts when I'm at my desktop puter.

I wanted to post pics but i don't see anyway to do. I'm sure I'll catch.
Click on "PHOTOS" in the black tool bar at the top of the page. Then click on the "Upload Photos" in the new tool bar and have at it.

Doug