manual clutch for horizontal shaft engine

mb clutch

Put me down for sure for one 3/4" shaft clutch. I assume I can change the supplied 35 chain sprocket out myself to a 13 tooth - 41 chain without any problems?

Thanks!
Darrel

Last edited:

fistfullabar

clutch

Check out the links below to see the clutch in action. We've come to the realization that we definitely need more horsepower to really put the prototype through its paces, and we'll make that our next project. That being said, the clutch handles this stock predator with ease. In the video you'll see that we're using a lever to actuate the clutch, but the production clutch will be operated via cable.

Custom Manual Clutch Go Kart Burn-out Predator 212 - YouTube

Custom Manual Clutch Predator 212 Kart - YouTube

Also, we did some primitive torque testing to determine the maximum torque capacity before slippage of the clutch. We used a breaker bar on the crank and locked up the sprocket using an extra piece of chain clamped to our weld table. We then hung weights off the end of the breaker bar and determined the max capacity to be 42 ft-lbs. In the future, we will offer springs with different load ratings so that users can select a spring setting based on their specific setup.
clutch

vwfan79

You can put me on the list for being interested. This will be great for a performance build.

I do have one question, I didn't see it asked but if it was sorry, are there any RPM limits to this clutch? I know some of the drag motors people are building are turning over 9500 RPM.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Just wanted to chime in with a quick update. Everything has been running smoothly, and it seems like every other day we are receiving a new package of parts in the mail. We originally had intended to do a large majority of the machining overseas, but we have now made the decision to purchase a CNC lathe to bring production to the US. This will allow us to afford quicker lead times on all parts, and the ability to prototype new designs and custom clutches. We have over 30+ years in combined machining experience, and we are very excited to be even more closely linked to this process. What this means is that our initial product offering will be slightly delayed from our mid-March estimate. We are now looking at late March/early April before we start to sell these clutches. The good news is that now we have both a CNC lathe and CNC mill at our fingertips, and this opens the doors for future product ideas. Feel free to PM us on questions regarding the above information, we are happy to respond!

As for vwfan79's question on speed, the clutch includes several needle bearings that are rated for speed well over 9500 RPM. The main needle bearing is engaged at all times, whether the clutch is pulled in or not. This bearing is rated for 18,500 RPM. The thrust bearings on the other hand are rated for a little over half this value. These bearings are only engaged when the clutch lever is pulled in. Unless the user has the clutch pulled in and is revving the motor at 10,000 RPM for a very long time, there won't be any issues. Realistically, the latter scenario is very unlikely.

-M

MB165

You need to design a clutch lever/ perch assy with a latch on it, similar to the ones used on fourwheelers for their parking brake. One off a yamaha blaster atv is what design I have in mind.

Pull in the clutch, push latch down with left hand and its in neutral until you sqweeze the lever in tight to the grip, spring loaded latch pops up and go......

vwfan79

You need to design a clutch lever/ perch assy with a latch on it, similar to the ones used on fourwheelers for their parking brake. One off a yamaha blaster atv is what design I have in mind.

Pull in the clutch, push latch down with left hand and its in neutral until you sqweeze the lever in tight to the grip, spring loaded latch pops up and go......
Great idea, this way the bike can idle without you being on it.

He already stated that it will come with motorized bike clutch lever.