Manual transmission for clone

Hi everybody,
I was just wondering: I have never heard of anyone putting a manual transmission on their mini bike, only clutches and tc's. I just want to know is there a way you can put one on a mini bike and where could you get one?
I love manual transmissions as you can use the gears to your advantage compared to an automatic.
Thanks,
Nathan

Yes, there have been many over the decades. My Trail King has a two speed. High,Neutral, and Low speed. Oil filled powered by a torque converter.
An industrial gear box for machinery or farm equipment could be adapted due to their small size and HP rating. A side mounted input shaft would be ideal.

Yes, there have been many over the decades. My Trail King has a two speed. High,Neutral, and Low speed. Oil filled powered by a torque converter.
An industrial gear box for machinery or farm equipment could be adapted due to their small size and HP rating. A side mounted input shaft would be ideal.
Sorry,
I meant like a transmission that's on a dirt bike.

Best bet, IMO, would be to get a Lifan MC type engine. They are "clones" (copies of Honda designs) and usually very reasonably priced. I say "usually" because sometimes the prices can double or even triple (may sound crazy but it's true, I check prices often). I assume they are in short supply when the prices jump up. I would like to put the 9,500 rpm, 11.4 hp, 4-speed, 125 in a small bike and/or the 8,500 rpm, 16 hp, 5-speed, 200 in large bike (MM 212 Pro Series preferably); I need to move to a more rural location where I could enjoy such things, no fun to build something just to look at it (might be for a little while, but then you want to see what it can do!). I've been through that before when I was building custom handguns years ago, it was a hassle packing up gear and going someplace to get in some shooting.

This Lifan 125 is usually around $330 + $50 shipping, I consider it a great bargain at that price. It's complete with carburetor, wiring harness, etc. You need to be careful ordering one because they are also sold in less complete form.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335845805&icep_item=380151383562

This Lifan 200 is usually around $550 + $100 shipping (they were over $1,600 a week or two ago!), also a bargain at that price, IMO. This one is complete but the 200 is also sold in less complete form
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335845805&icep_item=160982683885

Best bet, IMO, would be to get a Lifan MC type engine. They are "clones" (copies of Honda designs) and usually very reasonably priced. I say "usually" because sometimes the prices can double or even triple (may sound crazy but it's true, I check prices often). I assume they are in short supply when the prices jump up. I would like to put the 9,500 rpm, 11.4 hp, 4-speed, 125 in a small bike and/or the 8,500 rpm, 16 hp, 5-speed, 200 in large bike (MM 212 Pro Series preferably); I need to move to a more rural location where I could enjoy such things, no fun to build something just to look at it (might be for a little while, but then you want to see what it can do!). I've been through that before when I was building custom handguns years ago, it was a hassle packing up gear and going someplace to get in some shooting.

This Lifan 125 is usually around $330 + $50 shipping, I consider it a great bargain at that price. It's complete with carburetor, wiring harness, etc. You need to be careful ordering one because they are also sold in less complete form.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335845805&icep_item=380151383562

This Lifan 200 is usually around $550 + $100 shipping (they were over $1,600 a week or two ago!), also a bargain at that price, IMO. This one is complete but the 200 is also sold in less complete form
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335845805&icep_item=160982683885
So if you're going to get a manual transmission usually it will be built in to the engine?
So at 11 hp the lifan 125 would still be more powerful than the one in my mmb212 now?
What mods have to be done in order to accommodate this engine to my mini bike?

So if you're going to get a manual transmission usually it will be built in to the engine?
Many MC type engines are unitized; engine, clutch and transmission in the same case. I'm not aware of any manual transmissions that can be easily used with a 196/212 Honda/clone. Non-unitized MC transmissions, such as that of a HD big twin, would be way too big/heavy/expensive.
So at 11 hp the lifan 125 would still be more powerful than the one in my mmb212 now?
More peak HP, yes, but the 212 should have more low end torque. That 11.4 peak HP is at 9,500 rpm. The 125 has double the rpm range and four gears (plus a primary reduction between the crankshaft and the clutch). I would choose the 200 for a large bike, it would have a lot more torque than the 125.
What mods have to be done in order to accommodate this engine to my mini bike?
I would say fabricating engine mounts would be the main thing. The 125 may be a bit long for some frames (it was designed for use in a spine/backbone frame with no downtube(s)), the 200 may be too tall for some.