Massimo/MudStar MB200S review/ugrades

LIVIT

Massimo already credited me $225, that was fast ! More than enough to buy the new parts. I feel very comfortable telling others to buy from this company, I would again. The CS rep, did tell me they would have parts in stock within the next couple of months. I think you would be hard pressed to get this kind of positive results from very few other companies.

LIVIT

Merry CHRISTmas. Hope Santa got y'all what you were wanting.

With the current very cold snap, 16 here this am, that's too cold here in SC. I will not be doing any work on mini's till it warms up some. Suppose too warm back up into the 50 and 60's in a few days.

My plans are too mount a 1" riser/jack plate and see if stock engines exhaust and breather will clear, so CVT can be used in a stock configuration. Going to get into stock engine some. Check valve lash, I do suggest doing this with any new engine. Going to move governor spring and adjust for max rpm of around 5000, I don't do the zip tie trick !

My plans are too put the WC223 from my CT200 on the MB. Going to put the stock engine on the CT and will let y'all know how it holds up. My WC223 is a torque beast. I've port matched, port and polished head, Stage 1 exhaust and breather. Going to put TAV, 60T sprocket on MB. I found a swingarm mounted chain tensioner, with the 60T and the amount of difference of chain tension happening during swing arm travel, I hope this takes care of it. It should of come with one already, any mini with a swingarm, normally could use one.

LIVIT

The rear rim from my CT200U-EX is an exact replacement for the MB200S, only difference is colors. I already thought it was, but pulled it today, just to make sure. The only difference is the thickness of the metal the axle bushing spacers are. The Colemans are thicker, but same widths. The chain tensioners on the MB200 are a bit longer, but don't see an issue with swapping them either. The bolt that locks the drum to frame on Coleman has a hole for a keeper, to keep the nut from coming off, the MB does not, be easy to add one. The axles are the same.

LIVIT

Sorry y'all made a mistake in my last post. The axle spacer/bushing are thicker on the MB than the CT. Also one of the MB bushings are a bit narrower. Did not notice till I started reassembling.

Shocks are 11" hole to hole. So plenty of upgrade options available if needed. I "might" go to a heavier duty 12" with adjustable preload.

LIVIT

Output shaft on crank is 3/4 . Still can't find any numbers that show engine CC. Will look at it closer tomorrow, now that I have the engine off.

The engine will still fit stock using a 1" riser. My Wildcat 223 with the header made for a CT200U-EX fits perfectly. As you can see from pics there is some clearance issues. You will not be able to use just a 1" spacer. You will need a slanted riser plate like in picture to clear the swingarm and even then its really tight. Too get any more forward adjustment, you will have to grind some off the riser plate, so it can clear the foot pegs mount, shown in pic 7.

With the chain drive gear on TAV being so close and almost even with the swingarm pivot, which is great, I might not have to use a chain tensioner. Appears to be plenty of chain clearance.

I want too keep the engine stock and use it on my CT. My CT does have a 60T sprocket. Is using a TAV on a stock engine a good idea or should I just get a better clutch ? If it's a better clutch, which one ?

Attachments

SAS289

The stock engine, TAV, and 60 tooth should be fine on the Coleman. The 60 tooth and jackshaft would be kinda cool but only for slow speed trail riding. Not cool if you need more than 20 MPH.

LIVIT

The stock engine, TAV, and 60 tooth should be fine on the Coleman. The 60 tooth and jackshaft would be kinda cool but only for slow speed trail riding. Not cool if you need more than 20 MPH.
Not as concerned about top speed as I am torque. I'm going to try it, can always put a TAV on it later. I'm really wanting to test the stock MB engine, so I can post here on how it is. If it's too weak in stock form, then I can easily add a stage 1.

LIVIT

Finally found some numbers on engine. "MM168FML" So from what my bud SAS289 told me, that would mean it's a 196cc. I'm still learning about these small 4 strokes, but the engine being decaled as a 7.5hp seems impossible for a stock 196cc, correct me if I'm wrong please. The little bit I did get too ride it, the engine did seem strong, but I really don't have anything to compare it too far as 196cc goes.

I really liked how much smoother the carb linkage on it is, that I swapped it out with linkage on Wildcat 223. The bolt threads are same, but the heads on bolts are 10mm where the WC223 are 8mm. Noticed it was same with all the bolt heads on it, larger than the 223. This engine is suppose to be manufactured by a Yamaha owned subsidiary company, so it does not surprise me that it appears to be very well built. The gas tank seems to be a thicker metal than what came stock on my CT200. Anywhere wires or hose comes in contact with engine, there is extra heat protection insulation wrap. I will get into it more. If anyone wants pic or more info about it, just ask

LIVIT

Got the stock engine all setup on my CT and did some test riding, this is with the stock exhaust and filter. I adjusted governor spring for a max RPM of around 4800 RPM. I'm running the stock jackshaft/clutch with a 60T sprocket. At 4200RPM it was doing around 30mph. Since the engine is still breaking in, I did not want to push it any further. I'm actually impressed, it's not as anemic as what I thought it was going to be. It gets up too speeds in the upper 20's quickly and has enough torque to be a good easy trail rider. Since it seems to be a good engine, I'm going too get a TAV for it and a stage1 kit. I don't want it too be as loud as my WC223 is, so any suggestions on a header/muffler combo for it ?

LIVIT

A good buddy of mine advised me that the MPH I just posted seems off, too high. I'm going to test it again with a different phone speedo app. I don't want to be misleading y'all ever !!!

Update: Totally different numbers with a new speed app. 25mph at 5100rpm, then the governor kicked in. That's for sure more rpm's than I want to be pushing this engine. I'm confident with the tach, still not sure with the phone speed app. Will have to test on a ride in my vehicle.

Last edited:

SAS289

For quiet with a stock engine I would stay with the stock muffler and add a filter kit and a .033" jet.

On my 196 bike I removed the header pipe and used a 224 muffler. Works well even with a .036" main jet. With its current gearing it's running around 4500 RPM and under so there's no real need for a header. I made a deflector pipe for it that is held on to the shield with 4 sheet metal screws.

20230102_130542.jpg

LIVIT

Good idea brother, I'm going to try the stock muffler that came on my WC223, it's got a larger exhaust port. That should work, add a bit more power, without all the noise.

That deflector looks great, would think it was originally made that way.

LIVIT

I been riding my CT200 with the stock engine from MB200S, with the jackshaft and 60T, for several days now. It runs great. I'm planning on putting a TAV on it soon. Will keep y'all advised on it.

I got all the replacement parts for the MB, just waiting on the tire spoon set to get here, today or tomorrow. Really looking forward to seeing how this MB performs with the WC223, TAV and 60 Tooth sprocket.

I been riding my CT200 with the stock engine from MB200S, with the jackshaft and 60T, for several days now. It runs great. I'm planning on putting a TAV on it soon. Will keep y'all advised on it.

I got all the replacement parts for the MB, just waiting on the tire spoon set to get here, today or tomorrow. Really looking forward to seeing how this MB performs with the WC223, TAV and 60 Tooth sprocket.
would like to see the results. I ordered a torgue coverter but didn' see how it could fit. sems way too long to not interefer with the swingarm. I returned it.

LIVIT

would like to see the results. I ordered a torgue coverter but didn' see how it could fit. sems way too long to not interefer with the swingarm. I returned it.
It fits, not a lot of play room. You will need to use a 1" slanted riser plate like in pic 0056. Hent.com sells them.

Got the new rim and 60T sprocket done. Got tire off old rim in less than 5 mins, getting it back on was another learning experience ! Have more chain clearance around swingarm than I thought I would. Next will be to test how much the chain tension changes with swingarm travel and if I'm going too need a chain tensioner.

Attachments

toomanytoys

It’s not as quiet as stock but one bike I could only find an open header. I welded a 3/4 coupling to the end of the header and used a hot dog muffler on it. Didn’t make it quiet but at least 75% quieter than an open header!

you can trim quite a bit off the tav backing plate before it would effect anything

It fits, not a lot of play room. You will need to use a 1" slanted riser plate like in pic 0056. Hent.com sells them.

Got the new rim and 60T sprocket done. Got tire off old rim in less than 5 mins, getting it back on was another learning experience ! Have more chain clearance around swingarm than I thought I would. Next will be to test how much the chain tension changes with swingarm travel and if I'm going too need a chain tensioner.
Thanks, I might try it again