Max-Torque Maintainence

Is there any regular maintainence that can be done to the SS Max-Torque clutch? Anyone know if there are any specs for wear on these as well? I've heard the bushing is oil impregnated, but is there any type of lube that can be used to assist? What about cleaning/roughing up the shoes and drum?

I take it nobody maintains their clutches...:confused:. Well, I contacted MaxTorque and was told this:

"...take the sprocket out (sprocket/bushing assy.) and set it in a small can with some 30 weight oil. Let it sit in there for 24 hours. Heating up the oil will get it to penetrate further into the bushing. Get the oil hot but don't boil the oil. A crock pot with your can of oil in it is a great way of doing this. I also put in a cube of paraffin wax to seal in the oil when the wax melts after about 45 minutes then it is ready to take out and remount. Let it cool down so the wax seals in the oil. The cheaper the oil the better. A straight 30W petroleum oil with no additives is ideal. Stay away from Slick 50 or any oil that has Teflon or silicone in it because they will ruin a clutch."

...and also this:

We use a 2 pound coffee can to put in the crock pot and we save the oil with the wax in it. We use the same solution to do our chains. And after cooking them for 45 minutes we just hang them over the can of oil and let them drip off back in the can.

When you do the chain never clean it with gas or brake cleaner. Just use a high pressure air hose. Why? The brake cleaner or gas will dry out the chain because it can get into cracks that the oil cannot get into. You can use WD-40 to clean the chain then blow it off with the air hose.

Thought I'd post this just in case others are interested!:wink:

Good advise from the people who make a long time clutch product. I never heard of the wax part but it makes since . I have messed around so much with the torque converters for so long the clutch is going to be different on the Bonanza mini bike .
Steve

should this be done every year or every couple years or depends on how much you ride the thing?
On Max Torque's website they recommend oiling the bushing every two hours of riding. This 'oiling' however, is not the parraffin wax treatment--it is simply putting a drop of oil right on the "snap ring on the sprocket on the end of the clutch." I'm thinking of doing the...'impregnating'...:thumbsup:eek:nce a year. (We all know that's not enough:wink:...). I found some parraffin wax at the grocery store and am in the process of soaking the bushing tonight. I will post how the 'wax treatment' goes tomorrow. Also, I stole my wife's candle warmer and am going to use that to heat the oil/melt the wax. I've also decided that now is a good time to paint the drum/clean things up. Made sure to use high temp paint (1200 F).

Here are links to their website. Lots of other useful stuff there too.

Fun Kart
Fun Kart

Is there any regular maintainence that can be done to the SS Max-Torque clutch? Anyone know if there are any specs for wear on these as well? I've heard the bushing is oil impregnated, but is there any type of lube that can be used to assist? What about cleaning/roughing up the shoes and drum?
Oh, and to answer my own question, MaxTorque stated in their email that the shoes are hard as hell and they would wear out the drum before they wore themselves out. He said that in time you might get a small groove in the drum and when that happens, you'd be able to go another five years...then replace it. So knowing that, I took a wire wheel to the shoes and drum. Worked great!

Just an update on the clutch lube procedure. All went well. Using the candle warmer took a little longer than maybe a crock pot, but after about 4 hours it was good and warm. Added the wax and it took a while to melt completely, but let it sit for an hour or two after all was melted then removed, reinstalled the bushing in the sprocket and put it all back together on the bike. The clutch is much quieter at idle (not so much rattle) and seems to perform and function better overall. This was a pretty simple procedure--I'm going to make it a part of my seasonal upkeep.