Max Torque Tav ?? how much will it handle??

125ccCrazy

I did a search but didnt find the answers I was looking for so here it goes:

I have a new Max Torque TAV driver and driven clutches I was planning on using on my build... I'll be running a modded 6.5, billet rod, billet flywheel, milled head, flat top piston. vm22 mikuni carb, Not sure on cam shaft yet, thinking the 308...

My question is will this tav unit hold up to the increased hp and rpm's?? or should I get a 40 series and bush the driver to fit the 3/4 shaft on the 6.5?

I also have a new 2 speed jackshaft and dual sprocket clutch, would this be a better option or use a TAV unit??

Thanks in advance for any feedback on this....

I just looked up the Maxi Torque system, and what is unusual about this set up is that both driver and driven units are 13 degree symmetrical units. And are used like most asymmetrical units being that the movable faces of the shives are mounted on the same plane. Their system has the driven half set up to float on the jack shaft and that is what centers the belt as the two unit move. I feel that it is a trick and risky to set it up this way depending on the play to always be enough to be properly aligned. And this system is max rated @ 8 HP I would say the advantage would be to go to the Comet 40 series but in this system the movable faces of the two units must be opposite of each other.
I would spend the extra few buck and go with the Comet 44C driver as it is a tune-able unit that has 9 pucks and optional springs to set up the RPM engagement you desire.
It's a lot of bucks to spend but if the motor is going to have both the HP and RPM the drive has to be able to handle it.
When we ran the MC Culloch 101D engines in our Tri-Sport trikes they were the small units like the comet 20 series and belts were sacrificial because of the 15+ HP and RPM. Good luck
Steve :scooter:

Last edited:

125ccCrazy

I just looked up the Maxi Torque system, and what is unusual about this set up is that both driver and driven units are 13 degree symmetrical units. And are used like most asymmetrical units being that the movable faces of the shives are mounted on the same plane. Their system has the driven half set up to float on the jack shaft and that is what centers the belt as the two unit move. I feel that it is a trick and risky to set it up this way depending on the play to always be enough to be properly aligned. And this system is max rated @ 8 HP I would say the advantage would be to go to the Comet 40 series but in this system the movable faces of the two units must be opposite of each other.
I would spend the extra few buck and go with the Comet 44C driver as it is a tune-able unit that has 9 pucks and optional springs to set up the RPM engagement you desire.
It's a lot of bucks to spend but if the motor is going to have both the HP and RPM the drive has to be able to handle it.
When we ran the MC Culloch 101D engines in our Tri-Sport trikes they were the small units like the comet 20 series and belts were sacrificial because of the 15+ HP and RPM. Good luck

Thanks Steve for the feedback on this...

I can't remember if the 40 series I had on my gokart was on a floater or not, seems like it was being it is a symetrical belt (26 degrees).... Any ways, I was looking at the 44 series drivers, wow they are expensive, cheapest one I found was $165 plus shipping.... right now thats a bit out of budget being I still have to get a cam and valve train to finish this engine.....

I'll probably just save up and get the 44 and use the Max Torque on a stock engine, maybe on this MTD frame I have with a 3 or 5 horse....

125ccCrazy

For you information American Power Sports - Karting Parts & Accessories sells all the comet line up and they have the 44 series clutch for $157.00 and the 8 1/2 inch 3/4 bore driven unit for $126.00

Thanks again,

I got to thinking about it last night, I'll probably have to go with the 44 series 3/4" as the 40 series has a 1/4" key so I can't bush it to fit the 3/4 shaft, well I could but the key slot in the 40 is bigger than the 6.5 cranks key slot (3/16)....The only way that would work would be a custom machined key..

I know that they make a special keyed bushing for this application I think it is made by Browning, a good Bearing house should be able to supply this for you as it is a kit.

125ccCrazy

I know that they make a special keyed bushing for this application I think it is made by Browning, a good Bearing house should be able to supply this for you as it is a kit.

I've looked before for this Browning but all I come up with is Browning guns and other crap... Any idea on a website that I could look up and see if they have this??