MB 165-200 Fenders and Steering Tress

Interesting discovery last night.

I bought 2 Baja MBs taken apart and in boxes.

I was putting one together and discovered that one of the forks on the steering tree was damaged. I ordered another and it showed up yesterday.

Maybe others know this already but...... The replacement steering tree was much different from the original 2 that I had. The originals have horizontal tubing while the replacement has square stock. Also, the front fender bracket extends down much further than my originals and the headlight bracket is much more streamlined.

Based on the reflector mounts on the side of the new part I’m guessing that it’s from one of the newer models? All the mounting holes were identical.

I’ll try to add a couple pictures but I like the new style much better and the fender is now much lower now. I was going to lower the fender anyway but problem solved.

The picture with the chromed tree is the original and the black tree is the replacement with fender in place to show how much different it looks with the fender lower.

Enjoy reading everyone else’s posts and get great ideas from the site.

Attachments

Last edited:
Interesting. I'm not sure about the tree's but My oldest son has a 2011 MB200 and there was a safety recall back in 2013 on all MB200's from 2010-2012, regarding a fall / crash problem due to shock failure. So I had them replaced at the closest service center but the fender mount is still in the stock position (From what I can remember anyway) and the forks and the trees weren't changed. Only the shocks themselves were changed.

Shawn

Attachments

Last edited:
This is very interesting because in reading the official recall announcement by the govt they said the problem that occured
in 13 ( thirteen ) reports indicated a problem that would result in the front wheel coming off somehow and causing
a crash. There were said to be 23,000 units recalled. I figured some weldment might be breaking in order for the
front wheel to come off. I sort of thought that the front forks only had springs in them and no actual hydralic shock
absorber. I double checked my own 2010 MB165 model by calling bajamotorsports.com and giving them my
VIN number on the front of the frame. They said my unit had a recall for the throttle cable and throttle cable
clamp etc but no recall on the fork assembly.