Mechanical calipers

I am thinking of going to calipers on my trike. I know hydraulic is the way to go..but... I am thinking if I caught a line and it broke in the middle of a race that it would be easier to fix a cable than a hydraulic line... I am curious how well a mechanical set up using a hand brake would work... Lots of turns so I need it to stop the wheel on either side of th differential so I can turn/pivot. Anyone use one?

2SlickNick

The mudbugs use mechanical calipers. I only have one hooked up at the moment and an old frayed cable and it works - okay... I think once I get the appropriate cable and return spring it should be good to go.

If you plumb the bike correctly, you shouldn't be catching any hydraulic lines or anything like that. I assume we are talking about proper braided hose and not plastic brake line. Hose has fittings on either end, pretty easy to change.

This is not just for the track type riding. It wouldn't be the first or last time going through woods with sticks ripping lines...lol

This is not just for the track type riding. It wouldn't be the first or last time going through woods with sticks ripping lines...lol
Ah ok I see what you are saying now. Again if you route the lines correctly and use a good amount of zip ties, then you shouldn't have any problems. A machanical rod could get caught in branches too?
Hydraulic brakes work so much better than mech brakes, I would find a way to make it work. Just my two cents.