Memorial Day Program in our small town

This morning my wife and I attended the Memorial Day service in our small town. It means more to me now that ever before. When I was farming with my father, it did not seem to matter to him how much planting we still had left, he would still take the morning off and he and mom would go to the Memorial Day service. He served in WW II and was in action in Italy. I never understood the deep meaning to him of who he had left behind in Italy, once the war was over. The action was heavy and the casualties were high in some of the fierce battles their division was involved in. For most of his life all he would say was Cassino was hard and Battaglia was bad. About 10 years ago I started reading books and learning the history of their division. When he stated Battaglia was bad, seemed very understated. The battle lasted 7 days and the rain made the dirt turn to mud. The orders were to hold the hill at all costs, and that they did. The cost was very high for both sides and sometimes included hand to hand combat with the Germans. The ammunition ran low at one point and some resorted to throwing rocks down the hill at the enemy. So today was an honor for me to help my father stand at the program in our little school and sing along to the national anthem. He and mom moved into the nursing home last fall and they rode on the bus with other residents to attend the program. Memorial day is so much more than a BBQ, or a day off from work for us. Thank you to all the veterans who served and are serving at this time.

Attachments

Hello Bryan : As always your reports always hit the mark of what it meant to be a veteran like your father who saw it all and yet came home and went back to the work ahead in life after doing so much to protect his country and family. I am a veteran yes but I never felt that I was threatened very much being on the big Air Craft Carriers. Yes we lost some good men mostly pilots who earned their medals in direct enemy contact. Bless your father and thank him for his service to all of us.
Steve