Mikuni 22mm carburetor gasket got sucked into combustion chamber

Thepaetsguy

This same exact thing happened to me and my dad on are gokarts.. we knocked on a random door and the guy had a locked stocked garage and was happy to help. I unscrewed the plug and saw the rubber o ring. pulled it out with needle nose and he even had bolts to get the vm22 bolted back on. We rode it home like 9 miles with no gasket. 137C8308-EBDB-4929-B8B6-E8858A2D6CC9.jpeg

Last edited:

Harquebus

....snip.... Look over and see one of my two carburetor bolts were gone, my carburetor was hanging down and my gasket was gone. At the time I assumed the gasket and carburetor bolt were gone so I attempted to use zip ties to put everything back together.....Got back home and started taking things apart....snip.... Not really sure what to do here, but I'm assuming the engine is junk?
Let that be a reminder to us all to make daily inspections (or every time you ride) of every fastener on our bike to make sure they are tight. These gyrating, oscillating, vibrating machines can loosen every bolt, nut and screw if not attended to.

You should have lock washers on the screws on every crucial part on the bike, especially on the carburetor bolts haha.

Engine is not junk yet. Looks fine with acceptable wear. Has typical carbon deposits around the valves and some very light scoring in the bore (those vertical lines) but still has visible hash marks from cylinder homing. The rainbow heat marks near the crank journal have been explained as indicative of heat treatment done at the factory.

I wouldn’t do a thing except remove all traces of the gasket, reassemble and then check your valve lash.

Hyde

Hey guys, I put the valves back in and have some new findings after two tests. The first one, I flipped the head upside down and put a puddle of water into the combustion chamber. I then waited a little bit and came back to see all the water gone and basically all of it dripping down the intake port. I was somewhat scratching my head on how that would work because the gasket was looped around the exhaust port, but whatever. Second test I filled the intake port of water and it immediately started dripping, then I filled the exhaust port of water and had a little bit of a slower drip. While the water was still in the exhaust port, I put my blow gun nozzle to where the valve meets the seal or the head and had decent air bubbles come up the port. So, my questions are:
1. Do I just get some valve grinding compound and attempt to make a new seal with the current valves?
2. Do I get new intake and exhaust valves, lap the new valves and hope it solves the compression problem?
3. Do I get a new head?
4. Do I get a new head and new valves?
I did take pictures, so if y'all would like to see them I can throw them up in my next post. Thanks