Mini-Bike Race Tragedy...

DMR

This past weekend at the Lone Star roundup in Austin, Texas. There were Flat Track Dirt Oval Mini-Bike Races. During one of the first heats, there was a young woman riding a Cat 400 with a FlatHead briggs in it. She was a timid rider, and looked no farther than 5 feet in front of her while she was riding, as she rounded turn 4 on the inside, she gave the briggs a little too much room to breath, she began to slide and quickley over-corrected. causing her to high-side, sending her over the handle bars and into a violent tumble, when her body came to a rest, she lie in an akward heap. The look of agony spread across her face while she held her knee. Shortly thereafter, the paramedics arrived, and carried her out on a stretcher. The races were abrubtly stopped. The tragedy here is not the injury, but the possible jeaprodization of the future of the mini-bike races. many people went through alot of trouble. And came a long way for these races. there were some serious contenders, and the number of contestants has grown every year, i hope that the races are still held next year, and would like to ask if you had any comments.....

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Well she just didn't know how to ride, that's all.
What she needed to do was to get more seat time under her belt. They should have had the races maybe split up for novice and expert. That's the way they normally do it.

edwin

well im sorry for the girl and hope she will be fine. but unfortunately accidents happen and each person should be aware of the possibilities of injury before aggreeing to take part in a race or ride. thats to bad they had stopped the races, but i as a racer feel the race should go on. accidents happen and will continue to happen. and the races i feel shouldnt be stopped. just my oppinion. race on!!!!

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
well im sorry for the girl and hope she will be fine. but unfortunately accidents happen and each person should be aware of the possibilities of injury before aggreeing to take part in a race or ride. thats to bad they had stopped the races, but i as a racer feel the race should go on. accidents happen and will continue to happen. and the races i feel shouldnt be stopped. just my oppinion. race on!!!!
The Velodrome race was a good example. There was a few serious crashes, but everyone had to sign wavers before racing. :deal: And the races continued on schedule

It sucks but if people are getting killed they are going to put a stop to it. Just injuries(depending on severity) generally won't end the racing. Usually it just results in stricter saftey gear requirements.

There's a dirt 1/8th mile oval up the street from me and I always wanted to run my 4-wheeler there but they don't allow any type of non-caged vehicles anymore. They used to allow dirt bikes, 4-wheeler and even snowmobiles. They stopped running 4-wheelers after 2 people got killed and the snowmobiles stopped after someone got decapitated during a race. I guess the sight of a rolling helmet with a head still in it would put an end to any event...

It is a shame the race was called due to what clearly was a minor accident! Not to say the girl was not hurt, but in 1990 I went down at Hallet motor speedway in Hallet OK. at 125mph and tumbled rather than slid like so many times before! Resulting in a broken neck, I woke up with a halo screwed to my head and a ventalator breathing for me! Luckily I recovered and can walk, talk, and ride my minibikes like I stole them! The race I was in was not stopped nor did I expect it to! I do hope incidents such as this do not affect the future of minibike racing! I am too old and tore up to race but many here are not!

Yeah you definitely don't want to get young girls afraid of a machine up against guys going full bore.. There definitely needs to be different classes..

And I would never give some terrified young girl a fire breather Cat 400.. I think nobody should be out racing and afraid of their machine.. :shrug: She should have been givin a slow moving put-put bike to learn on until she's begging for more speed... and moved up from there until she was comfortable driving around and not afraid.. Being afraid of the machine just makes you crash.. :eek:hmy:

DMR

It sucks but if people are getting killed they are going to put a stop to it. Just injuries(depending on severity) generally won't end the racing. Usually it just results in stricter saftey gear requirements.

There's a dirt 1/8th mile oval up the street from me and I always wanted to run my 4-wheeler there but they don't allow any type of non-caged vehicles anymore. They used to allow dirt bikes, 4-wheeler and even snowmobiles. They stopped running 4-wheelers after 2 people got killed and the snowmobiles stopped after someone got decapitated during a race. I guess the sight of a rolling helmet with a head still in it would put an end to any event...
how did that happen???

Was she timid? She was leading when she went down and said she was coming back to win next year and hopes the races are not canceled because of her crash. I dont know her ,just got my info from the H.A.M.B..

DMR

Was she timid? She was leading when she went down and said she was coming back to win next year and hopes the races are not canceled because of her crash. I dont know her ,just got my info from the H.A.M.B..
oh no sir, she was one of the slowest riders on the track, most likely the slowest rider competing, i do not know who told you this but i am sorry to tell you that that information is false, but some of the riders really knew how to man-handle a mini-bike, one man was pitching it into turns and stayed in the throttle all the way around the turn.

Lonestar Roundup 2010

I was at the lonestar roundup and the girl who had the mini bike accident from what I hear is doing fine...knee injury, no broken bones.
No reason to cancel mini bike races due to a minor accident. I was there ready to race my Hornet. I was able to squeeze in about ten warm-up laps. I have to say, I almost wiped out a few times myself due to the small piles of loose dirt...it was fun anyway! I sold my vintage Heathkit Hilltopper there in less than an hour. My brother also sold his mini bike chopper. My son and nephews had a great time riding their mini bikes with their Mothers recording them. Thanks to my brother for the invite. :scooter:

.... and nobody's worried about her little CAT 400 ?? :eek:hmy: .. I mean heck, new girls are born every second of every day, but CAT 400's aren't as easy to come by as they used to be ....

DMR

.... and nobody's worried about her little CAT 400 ?? :eek:hmy: .. I mean heck, new girls are born every second of every day, but CAT 400's aren't as easy to come by as they used to be ....
i agree, but the CAT 400 was indeed, unharmed, it only slid on its side a few feet.

minibike race tragedy

2yrs ago i raced with moto-kazi they travel around to co. fairs & a few different tracks $10 to get into pits $20 to race every wknd no insurance so there has to be a way around it you just sign a wayver b4 you race they have ambilances & everything some guys wer flyin 20ft in the air & landing on each other i helped put a gut in the ambilance that had bones stickin out & he couldnt get up cuz his back hurt?

Let's consider the kind of racing event it was. That was a higher risk of racing event in the first place. AutoX is considered a "driver skill" event and insured and judged differently. I love autoX but haven't done it in a few years.

You wouldn't get me on a dirt track with one of these and a bunch of other inexperienced riders. A road course would be a different story. A Mini-X around cones, kart track, or real dirt bike track for timed laps would have been a touch safer for the riders and probably just as entertaining. Think more along the lines of driver skill and timed laps. A minibike time attack would be a hoot!