Mini Sand bike? What is it?

Can anyone identify the the gray bike for me? It looks like it may have been re-painted at some point in its life. Original color may have been orange. Or red. Wheels appear to have been white originally. Sprocket on the rear axle appears to have a drum brake type system built inside of it. Needs just about everything replaced on it but looks like it'll be really fun when I fix it up. Guy I got both bikes from said its built to run on sandy surfaces with the fat tires.

That bike is a Bird Terra Torque made in Fremont Nebraska . I have two of them and are a blast to ride . That's a good bike to fix up and ride .

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, it IS a honda motor on the big one, however, it was an unfinished project from the previous owner, looks like it possibly sat outside for years partially disassembled, motor is seized and all sorts of rust all up in it. Owner had both bikes for at least the past 15 years, what you see in the pic is all there is, no extra parts and there is a lot of stuff missing.

Manco looks mostly complete but not sure if its the original motor or not, motor turns over but not currently running, it is not the tecumseh my friends thunderbird had on it. 2 of my friends did the harbor freight motor swap on the thunderbirds and they are a blast, I was thinking that might be a good idea for the big bike.

Ill get some better pics to post up in the apropriate forums this week.

Sorry, I just realized you weren't looking for an I.D. on the Manco:doah:
But you got a nice project on your hands with the big bike. :thumbsup:

Keep us posted.

after digging around on the forums a little bit, I realized I definately dont have the torque converter for the bike. Any reason I wouldnt be able to bypass it and just run a chain directly to the clutch? I am assuming the only concern there would be getting the clutch in line with the rear sprocket.

Who knows, maybe it will turn up later. I talked to the previous owner again last night, he said he had a box with more parts somewhere, like the airfilters and exhaust, etc...for both bikes (he is in the middle of moving). When it eventually turns up he is going to call me.

Any reason I wouldnt be able to bypass it and just run a chain directly to the clutch? I am assuming the only concern there would be getting the clutch in line with the rear sprocket.

with those big tires, you're better off with a torque converter. Most of those fat tires that I've seen are not direct drive due to the fact of the large tires.