modding... 5.5 vs. 6.5

i've decided i want to start modding a motor for my Cat (rod, flywheel, carb, cam, head, etc...) and am wondering if i should just go ahead and do the 5.5 clone i have or buy a 6.5 clone and start from there.

will it make that much of a difference overall? if it's only going to be maybe 1/2 a hp difference it's not really worth dropping an extra $100-$150 on a 6.5 IMO.

if i do my 5.5, it's going to be down for awhile. if i go with a 6.5 i can keep riding it. even during the winter the weather is usually nice enough to do some riding. hell, if it's not raining or under 40° out it's riding weather.

anways, what do you guys think?

i had a 6.5 clone on my mini and i got a honda 5.5 so i put all the mods from the 6.5 on the 5.5 since they are all the same parts and to be honest i don`t notice any difference between the two i am kinda disappointed in both motors my stock subaru 6.0 seemed to have a lot more power their just isn`t any performance parts for subie`s if you don`t mind spending money for a 6.5 go ahead it`s always good to start out with the bigger motor but to me and my to motors there`s no difference .

if you don`t mind spending money for a 6.5 go ahead it`s always good to start out with the bigger motor
that's what i'm thinking, but i'm not sure if the extra $150 (plus shipping, my local HF doesn't stock 6.5s) is worth it. that money would cover the cost of a 22mm Mikuni and a billet rod.

a friend of mine is almost done with his DB30 that he swapped a 110cc Lifan w/ a 4spd into. i'd like it if my Cat was at least as quick as his it (i think his motor is putting out 8.5hp). he should have it finished in a few weeks. i'll get some pics of it when it's done. it's a very tight fit but it works.

his motor looks like this:

i just got rid of two of those motors a 110 , and a 150 cc we have pit bikes also they don`t have much horsepower it`s all in the transmission and gearing those motors are only like 3.5 hp . but hell it would be a blast we put a 70cc in a chopper bicycle with suicide shifter it`s fun it should be in my photo`s save the money , use 5.5 add mods to it , good luck !!

yea man get a flat top piston, mill the head down .100 get a race cam and a .100 shorter pair of chromoly push rods harder rocker arms and the valve springs you need. and a good tillotson carb and you will be set.