Monkey Rims & Hubs (a review)

Minimichael

I said I'd do a review when they got here:

Review
Under $200, plus free 60 day shipping got me these 10 and 12 inch 3.5" rims, hubs and brakes. They're sold as Honda monkey/SkyTeam. They're very light, and spokes look a little spindley, but they feel sturdy, and appear cleanly machined. They're much wider than I expected, and have fingers crossed they'll fit. The visual difference between the larger and smaller sizes is really nice and pronounced, which I'm also happy about ...thinking about my next build. I've been pleased with a similar set of Alibaba Monkey Rims. And they've been getting cheaper.

Attachments

Last edited:
Good initial report. After you get them mounted, let us know if they run true with no (or at least very minimal) side to side or up and down wobble. (Think : Azusa "Tri Stars")
Michael

Thanks for the review. I look at some like that on eBay a few years ago but bought spoked ones instead. Really like the ones you got looks like halibrand mag wheels from the old Indy roadster years

Minimichael

I'm all about price, and though I found there is a whole other world of very slick, high dollar mags out there in the euro-asian-scooter-pit market, these came in competitively priced to any old vintage wheels I could find out there on eBay.

Buying direct from overseas can be unsettling. I understand Alibaba is a hub for wholesaling and mass production, and I've heard stories about delivery headaches involving items held up at Customs, plus unexpected costs. But they also sell single items thru a retail site called "AliExpress". I've used each forum and haven't had a problem yet. On this set I wrote to the seller and made sure they understood I expect them to be delivered to my door. Packaging is usually decent, tho tape has appeared yellowed either by age or quality, and stuffing like bubble wrap has been obviously repurposed and/or can really reek with chemical-ish fumes.

Notwithstanding, this set got here without any dings or scratches. The hubs/drums, shuttles and shoes look freshly finished and fully operational. And the price and wait time worked out perfect for making my next stripped-down Arctic cat into an instant roller. Just as soon as I can get around to that..

Attachments

Last edited: