More wheel/sprocket and drum questions(road runner?)

Daniel Coop

$_1 (1).JPG
Need help identifying what sprocket and drum combo can be used on these wheels and what exactly they are. Almost looks like another Bendix sprocket? Was told vintage Roadrunner. Still trying to figure out my wheel upgrade for my Trailblazer's 4's and weather or not these might do the job?

markus

Yes, those wheels would use the same 3.25" bolt circle sprocket that your series II wheels used. Does not look like roadrunner used a brake on it though, It looks like they used a band brake off the jackshaft in this pic......I'll know better soon as I have to pic this bike up from another member to get cleaned up, sorted out and sold off:

General Appliance did in fact briefly use those wheels too, The one I had used a pretty wide spacer and flat bolt on sprocket, but was a swingarm model (dunno what a non suspension frame has for room). what brake would depend on model I believe, they liked to use the band off the jackshaft or a larger band brake on the wheel for the most part.

fitting a drum brake will require mounting stop lug onto the frame most likely. For instance this trail blazer below that I had bought to part out a few years ago had Azusa tri stars on it, with the Azusa flat drum brake. Not the best photo's but you can see they welded a 5/16" round spacer/bushing to the frame so the brake stop ear had something to bolt to (right side bottom frame bend). It worked pretty good on the one ride I took it one before it went under the knife :grind:

Daniel Coop

The idea of a 1" live axle is starting to sound like my best bet...To give myself numerous sprocket choices and a proper hydraulic disc brake setup. If I am going to have to fabricate stuff anyway to run some mag wheels... I was hoping to keep it vintage, but I like going fast and being able to stop. I read about a jackshaft system band brake that OldMiniBikes was talking about putting out for sale a few years ago in a thread. Did that ever come to fruition and if so does it work well? Anyone tried it?

Daniel, in addition to the great information already posted in this thread, I wanted to add that OldMiniBikes member Inventorpardue put together a ratio calculator for jack shaft applications. I have used it a bunch already. http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/e...-speed-calculators-post810737.html#post810737

Also, going with a 1" shaft really increases your options for a Jack Shaft brake. Yes, it has been done several times, and there are quite a few references to it if you search around. Lots of 1" band brake drums on ebay, as well as commensurate bands. You just have to fabricate the band mounting, and get the rotation right.