Mounting H30 to the frame

Any advice on how to best mount my H30 on the frame of my minibike?

It seems like the four threaded holes on the base of the engine are only threaded part way through, so any bolt I feed into it stops before making it all the way through. :shrug: I have no idea how to do this.

Also, is there any way to protect the frame underneath it from rubbing due to vibration? Obviously the engine needs to mount snug enough to maintain chain tension, right?

Any advice on how to best mount my H30 on the frame of my minibike?

It seems like the four threaded holes on the base of the engine are only threaded part way through, so any bolt I feed into it stops before making it all the way through. :shrug: I have no idea how to do this.

Also, is there any way to protect the frame underneath it from rubbing due to vibration? Obviously the engine needs to mount snug enough to maintain chain tension, right?
Are you referring to your Fox? I've never seen any threaded engine mounts on these minis. If the slots in the engine plate are okay, you just need to move the engine a bit to get the bolts through.

Yes, the engines do wear through the paint and scratch things up. Some of the guys here use non-skid decals. There are also motor plate covers available done all shiny. Yes, the engine has to be snug enough to maintain tension and alignment.

I don't know if I answered your question. You may be over thinking this. I use grade 8 hardware on the engine mounts by the way. You could use grade 5, or stainless too.

I was mostly interested in what kind of bolt setup to use (bolt+nuts+washers, etc.), whether or not rubber grommets are a good item, and how to protect the paint on the frame.

Post a pic of what you got going on, all the small Tec engines I have ever seen have 4 mounting holes drilled all the way through :shrug:
Mine has 4 holes, but they don't seem to be threaded all the way through, just partially. I will try to take a photo that shows this when I get home, but no guarantees.

I was mostly interested in what kind of bolt setup to use (bolt+nuts+washers, etc.), whether or not rubber grommets are a good item, and how to protect the paint on the frame.
Two flat washers, a lock washer, nut and bolt, grade 5 or 8. Alternatively, you cat use a lock nut instead of the lock washer. 5/16 18 X 2 if I recall correctly.

Grommets won't work in practice. Lots of fab work to incorporate them and have the ability to move engine to adjust chain/belt.

Flat piece of aluminum, polished, or chromed with the slots in it are somewhere on line. (Or you could make one) When installing engines on new paint, I use thin cardboard- the white pieces between the cans on a 30 pack of bud- to protect. If I scratch too much paint, or later on down the road, I use the left over paint to touch up the engine plate.

rmm727

I've used carriage bolts before going up through the bottom. The square under the head locked into the slot and then you only needed one wrench. Not sure if different manufacturers used slightly wider slots than others but it worked on my Golden Pinto. Are you sure the "threads" you are seeing aren't just marks the bolt made in the aluminum?

Ok, I'm not near my bolts...(NO COMMENTS)...the correct bolt would use 1/2" wrench. I just cant remember if that's 5/16" or 1/4" bolt.

Doc