mtd

I just purchased an MTD Columbia project. There is no sign of brakes on it at all and I don't have a clue what it's supposed to have. Does anybody know anything about these?

markus

MTD made a few differnt bikes, the smaller bikes used a brake band over the wheel hub, larger bikes were usually spoke wheeled and from what I have seen were standard internal drum brakes on the hub like a conventional motorcycle

the only example I have is from a bike I rebuilt a few years ago, it was the smallest framed bike they made so I dunno if it will help or at least give you an idea of what they did.
There was a special mount plate that held the brake cable and pivot pin for the band to ride on , the hub was the drum. I want to say that the other 6" wheel bikes they made with all the odd bends in the frame was the same way, only on the left side of the bike, due it it having a jackshaft type driveline.

I just purchased an MTD Columbia project. There is no sign of brakes on it at all and I don't have a clue what it's supposed to have. Does anybody know anything about these?
I sure do! I know they and their owners are just a cut above the rest of the minibike world. Welcome inside the club. The circle of trust. For we are legion. I actually feel sorry for those that do not understand. Too own an an MTD is like going through life knowing a little secret no one else knows and you get to look down on others that havent heard it. And dont ever feel bad that you're better than "them". This is your right.

You have choosen well, dear friend. One day I hope to pull up next to you, take my helmet off and, with that MTD air or aristocracy we are known so well for, ask you proudly, "pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?"

And now...

PICS!!!

Of my MTD'S!!!!