Muffler talk

Minimichael

I know we've talked about glass packed and adjusted baffle designs before, but I'm talking about stock options again. Specifically, a big hopped up 2+ HP Briggs with an even BIGGER stock muffler... I'm talking about the sausage muffler that's stock from the 5hps, not just the lil' hotdog. That 5hp sausage muffler really transforms a little 2 and 3hp's sound!

So now I'm working with Briggs model 13s and looking to try other muffler options. What oversize is next? What if you want your 5HP flathead to sound a little bigger, or just different? Are there 8hp mufflers that sound good or do I go right to lawn tractor size? Any odd-ball stock options like box-shaped or discreet?

I have a couple of 8-plus rated screw on mufflers. They are 1 inch INTERNAL threads, so they screw onto a pipe, not into a fitting. They are about 7 inch diameter and 5 inches deep. They sound pretty good on a long 1 inch pipe, but that pipe in heavy. Not a problem on a tractor, maybe OK on a kart, but not so handy on a bike.

Harquebus

You're working with model 13s, do you mean Briggs 13 cubic inch, aka the 5 HP?

Regardless of that, I think the next size up is the Briggs & Stratton 299477S with a 1" threaded coupler. I loathe the box mufflers for the most part so this looks decent:

CAFE4004-C092-4139-82F6-B227C0709760.jpeg

Minimichael

Yes I mean the 5hp.
I have a couple of 8-plus rated screw on mufflers. They are 1 inch INTERNAL threads, so they screw onto a pipe, not into a fitting. They are about 7 inch diameter and 5 inches deep. They sound pretty good on a long 1 inch pipe, but that pipe in heavy. Not a problem on a tractor, maybe OK on a kart, but not so handy on a bike.
I'll look into the tractor types, as I think I might be able to conceal a lot beneath the Ramrod seat.