Muskin Tri-Cat

#1
This little Muskin Tri-Cat showed up on the Craigslist 5 minutes from my house so I had to jump on it and bring it home. Pretty slick and bigger than I thought it would be from the pics. Even my fat butt will fit in this thing. This will eventually be my car show cruiser.

She is a bit crusty right now. Needs a good scrub down and power wash. A couple fiberglass spots to fix. tecumseh engine unknown condition. May come off and be replaced with a 212 predator. Needs a carb if I keep it. Tires are all cracked and crusty. Frame is super solid and it has all the bits and pieces. Back wheels appear to be individually braked per side. Is that normal? Everything seems to be there for the torque converter.

IMG_4820.JPG
IMG_4821.JPG
IMG_4822.JPG
IMG_4819.JPG
IMG_4818.JPG
IMG_4817.JPG
IMG_4816.JPG
 
#3
That's a great looking project !
Yes the dual rear brakes is fairly common and really helps making turns. Without them sharp turns are impossible .
When doing your rebuild don't skip the differential...those need torn down-cleaned and repacked because they were never done .
Good Luck
 
#5
That's a great looking project !
Yes the dual rear brakes is fairly common and really helps making turns. Without them sharp turns are impossible .
When doing your rebuild don't skip the differential...those need torn down-cleaned and repacked because they were never done .
Good Luck
Thanks! That makes sense on the brakes. I will definitely repack the rear diff.
 
#8
Thought I needed to do an update because I am finally starting to get this trike assembled. Here are some steps of the journey. So some things turned out to be really crusty on the trike. The axle was rusted to the rims. No press or heat could free them. The internals were good so I kept them for back-up parts. I had to go online to order a new Peerless 100 differential and some parts for them from omb. This new differential will work perfectly on this trike. Breaking the bead on the tires took a bit of work. Sitting outside for 20 years didn't help with the things being stuck.
IMG_6311.JPG IMG_5558.jpg IMG_6150.jpg IMG_7632.jpg IMG_7633.jpg IMG_7634.jpg
 
#9
The frame was pretty gross so it got sanded down and was hit with some metallic flake. The front forks were crusty as well. You can see the custom pegs that were made at some point. There was no front fender when I bought it. It looks like where it would have been mounted is where they welded the custom pipe pegs at. The springs were super nasty so I ordered new ones. Handle bars, new wheels and forks were also sanded down for a few coats of flake and clear. IMG_5556.jpg IMG_5559.jpg IMG_5560.jpg IMG_5563.jpg IMG_6330.JPG IMG_7226.jpg IMG_7228.jpg IMG_7934.jpg IMG_7983.jpg
 

Attachments

#10
This week I got the axel installed, tires mounted, new chain, and front forks assembled. She is now ready for the engine and cables. Update on the seat in a week. Its at a buddy's place getting worked over so I can do some Kandies. IMG_7978.jpg IMG_7979.jpg IMG_7990.jpg IMG_7992.jpg IMG_7993.jpg IMG_7994.jpg IMG_7999.jpg IMG_8022.jpg IMG_8027.jpg
 
#15
Here is an update. I don't have a cushion made for it yet but she is looking pretty spiffy. I had to learn how to paint and I gathered some stuff to do it. Hours of youtube later here is where I am at. I should have the a seat sewn in a couple weeks. Here are a few shots of the paint progression. Don't beat me up on it. I started painting a couple weeks ago. The kandy detail panels were done with an airbrush and the rest of the paint and clear was done with an 3M Accuspray and a 21 gallon compressor. The compressor was way too small. I had to let it catch up so I could continue spraying.

sy0A8r%mSru+eeE7%uM+eQ.jpg
IMG_8113.JPG
72AeyEUNSWm82nwxj4o0cQ.jpg
xkaB34YJRSSsP9n80wcgzg.jpg
IMG_8117.JPG
MHOVKNj3Q1Cnf4cZK0N55Q.jpg
S+jbg1UaRhKEaRyPYlmJuw.jpg
 

Top