MW VT525 project

Picked this up from a member. It is now fall in Michigan, time for winter refit. Going to install a model 20 tav setup. Going with an HS50 and underseat tank. Right now I am fabbing up the rear band brake linkage from scratch, about 90% done with that. Hoping to be able to clean up the rims a bit, already bought some new tires. New shocks also. Would like to get one of Manchester's awesome seats. Last will be new powdercoating. Pics as it progresses.

Attachments

Cool, two MWs now going. Gonna be interested to see how you solved the brake bracket dilemma. I posted my solution today.
Yep, I am following your build. I pretty much did the same thing on my 525. It works, but could have more stopping power. It will be interesting to see how it works with the mechanical advantage of the arm type setup.

Some more progress made. Pretty much got the rear brake fab completed, found that I had drilled the mounting holes in the drum slightly off center, need to redo that. Way too much time involved in this part. On the plus side, I will be able to make another for my 525 project with a Comet 2-speed. Kudos to SprintcarDon for making the pieces for me, great guy. Made a new cable retainer, stock didn't line up and I wasn't about to cut and modify a perfectly good original piece. The tav is set up, underseat tank ziptied in place for mock up. Got some new shocks for it, just need to get a new seat hopefully from Manchester after the holidays when the budget loosens up a bit. Bought my first Gilson A year ago and this is what it has brought me to. Send help. Or Cheetos, whatever. :biggrin:

Attachments

Last edited:
Does the band pivot off the upper or the lower? Really can't tell from the photo. Like you, I spent a lot of time thinking this thing through, I couldn't get the geometry to work to get full contact of the band using a "lever." I started with the band pivoting off the upper bolt--but abandoned it.

Does the band pivot off the upper or the lower? Really can't tell from the photo. Like you, I spent a lot of time thinking this thing through, I couldn't get the geometry to work to get full contact of the band using a "lever." I started with the band pivoting off the upper bolt--but abandoned it.
Band is hooked in the lower hole, cable hooks to the upper hole.

Project is looking good . Fabricating parts is always fun . Sprintcardon is a really great guy . Have been friends with him and his wife since the late 70s .