My Bonanza project has begun!

Hey Rick,

Thanks for posting and I appreciate the pictures. It has been a few weeks since I have had time to get on here. Not much has happened with the bike.

I need a new rear wheel. when I tried to remove the broken part it crumbled. I don't think there is much point in trying to fix it. I still haven't figured out how to remove the sprocket. Is it riveted in place? :shrug:

markus

Hey Rick,

Thanks for posting and I appreciate the pictures. It has been a few weeks since I have had time to get on here. Not much has happened with the bike.

I need a new rear wheel. when I tried to remove the broken part it crumbled. I don't think there is much point in trying to fix it. I still haven't figured out how to remove the sprocket. Is it riveted in place? :shrug:

The sprocket is actually the "nuts" that hold the back wheel together. there are threaded tabs welded to it that go down into the bolt holes of the wheel.

http://OldMiniBikes.com/images/D/sbgp60_3.jpg

Calling all Bonanza experts. Unbelievably 4 months have passed and I haven't done a thing with this mini bike. I am motivated to get started again.

Here is the plan. The rear wheel assembly is shot. It will cost me more to have the wheel welded after it is taken apart by a machine shop. I just can't make a straight hole in the the mounting tabs that hold it together. I have soaked the remainder of the bolts in penetrating oil for days. there is nothing more my skill level will allow.

I have removed the backyard mechanic mounting brackets from the frame so it no longer has a scrub brake. This is a fixed axle bike with no jack shaft or swing arm so I don't see a real need to put one in. Let me know if you think otherwise. I am thinking of getting the 6 in. Astor wheel assembly for the rear and match it on the front. I want to have a brake assembly on this and not a scrub brake. Any thoughts? Has anyone done something different or used specific parts from OldMiniBikes that fit well and didn't give you to much hassle aligning up the chain?

I will be using the Harbor Freight 6.5 HP motor on this. Should I get a 35 or 40 tooth clutch and sprocket? I am concerned with alignment of the chain when I put it all together.

Will the Throttle set F474-57701SET from OldMiniBikes Warehouse fit properly? There was no throttle on the bike when I picked it up. It has a 1 in. handlebars so I'm just asking about the 5 1/4 in. length. Has any one used this setup?

I am not looking for a restoration on this bike obviously but I want a cool cruiser I can ride around with my son and if someone wants to take a ride on it I don't want any issues. So Please share your thoughts, concerns, advice, or criticism. Spare me nothing!

Thanks

Any body want to chime in on this? :shrug: I was hoping to order some parts from OldMiniBikes Warehouse today and take advantage of their free shipping.

I'm working on the Bonanza. I'm just about finished with my sons Lil Indian.
Here it is as a roller again

:hammer:
The Astro wheels look good. I have the axles back on and the drum brake is mounted. I had to make a couple of spacers for the right offsets. I. Working on the seat. I wanted to get everything on it and working before the final tare down for paint. :scooter:

Looking good. Way to stay with it.:thumbsup:
Thanks Buckeye. I usually don't start a project when I don't have a specific time frame in mind for finishing it. I looked back at the first few posts on this thread and I was supposed to have this done by the end of 2012.

There is a classic car show once a year just down the street from me that is on a dead end street. About a 100 vehicles show up for it. I want to have this sitting there next to the motorcycles next Friday. That gives me 8 days to have this running.

Has anyone found a way to use the Predator tank on the bonanza frame?:shrug:
I would like to get a nice tank and mount it in the back behind the seat. I just don't think I have time to get one before the show next Friday.

I have to say I am way excited to get this drivable. I have been tooling around on my boys minibikes and I don't come close to fitting on a Lil Indian. :laugh: This bonanza has a lot more room so I won't look like I'm getting ready for a Shriners parade every time I go down the street. I love Shriners but I don't want to look like a bear on a tricycle.

buckeye

You could just get one of those metal straps and strap it on until you find a remote tank, it's like a giant hose clamp.
Looks goofy but, bot much worse than you describe.:shrug:

I looked at this quite a bit today. I just don't see where a tank this size from the predator engine is going to work even temporarily on this minibike frame. :facepalm: I will put the motor back in place to see.

I am in the process of making a new seat for it. There was no seat when I bought it. I'm making the seat 1 in. longer. 1/2 in. wider in the front and 2 in. wider in the back. cost for this seat so far? $0. The wood is from a stairs project I finished a couple of years ago. I have already made one seat from the scrap. A second seat is almost finished. I was given the foam from two different carpet stores. Just ask for a remnant and they were happy to give me $1. worth of padding free. The spray glue is left over from a vinyl top I put on a car 7 years ago. It still works believe it or not. And the vinyl isn't anything exciting, just black vinyl I picked up for my son's first mini bike. I had to buy a yard of it and these seats don't take a lot of material. I'll take a picture of it and post as I make it.:grind: